Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork question

Options
My wife picked up a pork roast today, was wondering if it is ok to use for pulled pork, I usually use a shoulder or a butt

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    Cook anything lomg enough it will,break down, you may want to do something to add moisture 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Can you identify what cut it is? Sometimes "pork roast" might mean a chunk of loin, other times, a chunk of uncured ham. Loins are not good for PP. Not enough connective tissue to turn to gel. The meat will fall apart, but end up w. a dry mouth feel.

Hams are fine. They cook a little faster than shoulder portions. They end up more succulent than loin portions, but not as good a butt. They can be injected during the end of the cook, and come out very good.

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    It’s a pork loin roast
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    daffy1909 said:
    It’s a pork loin roast

I'd go for sliced if loin....top with a sauce 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    daffy1909 said:
    My wife picked up a pork roast today, was wondering if it is ok to use for pulled pork, I usually use a shoulder or a butt
    I think it was @Mickey that did a pulled loin.  I did one too but can’t find the post.  The best I can remember is we smoked it for a bit then ended up braising in bbq sauce like liquid till it would shred then let it keep going till the liquid reduced.   It wasn’t bad for a less fatty sammich 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    I cooked a pork loin at 300, indirect, to IT of 145 and it was incredible. My wife pulled one out of the freezer this morning, so I will be enjoying one this week, as well. Rubbed with Four41 South Honeysuckle.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    edited June 2019
    Options
    daffy1909 said:
    I think it was @Mickey that did a pulled loin.  I did one too but can’t find the post.  The best I can remember is we smoked it for a bit then ended up braising in bbq sauce like liquid till it would shred then let it keep going till the liquid reduced.   It wasn’t bad for a less fatty sammich 
    I have been doing turbo tenderloins to 200/205 and works good (not as moist but good). Good way for pulled pork for two. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @Mickey, no need to overcook the tenderloin. Just cook to normal done temp, then cut it into chunks and throw 'em into the stand mixer with paddle attachment. Speed 1 or 2 until pulled to your liking. Careful, you can wind up with paté if you go too far.

Remember my poke sallet? I don't remember what cut it was, but it looks more like a loin than a tenderloin. Either would work. Maybe even a poke chop!
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181793/poke-sallet-plus-the-best-way-to-pull-poke

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut