Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Termites in the lump bag

Options
DieselkW
DieselkW Posts: 894
edited May 2019 in Off Topic
Thousands of them. I lifted the bag, and the bottom fell out, along with a zillion insects IN MY GARAGE! They had to have come with the lump, the bag is kept inside an aluminum trash can for the purpose of storing lump. I carry the bag to the Egg, and put the bag back inside the trash can. Didn't notice them when I opened the bag maybe two weeks ago, apparently they were on the bottom. 

It's been rainy, and I hadn't been cooking for 4-5 days, which is a long dry spell for me. Yesterday, just a simple burger and hot dog cook, I lifted the bag and the bottom was eaten out of it. I noticed the little buggers right away, there must have been a few thousand. Some of them on the garage floor, I swept them up as fast as I could, hope I didn't miss any. 

I dumped the whole lot of it into a heavy duty plastic bag, took a video, and tied it up - placed it in a large plastic trash container and got it the hell away from the house. 

Since it was in my lump container, I am hoping these termites came to my home with the lump. I'm pissed off, I'm going to have to make sure I didn't contaminate the house.

<link to video removed>

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I would check back to the location you bought it from, they could be infested.

I didn’t look at your picture when I followed the link, it wanted me to log in for some reason.
     but this website has a great updated picture posting ability if you are interested.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I don’t think the termites rode in with the bag. You’d have to have some uncarbonized lump. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    After a quick search it turns out termites actually eat charcoal!

I have seen swarms of termites in the spring, sounds like your bag picked one up somewhere 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DieselkW
    Options

I didn’t look at your picture when I followed the link, it wanted me to log in for some reason.
     but this website has a great updated picture posting ability if you are interested.

I removed the link since it requires access to my Google account. It was a video. My "still" picture shows the bag, and I don't want to start a huge  controversy here by slandering the lump vendor in case these are "my" termites and not their fault.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    By location I meant if you bought it at a local hardware store say on a pallet in the back or something you might make sure they aren’t breeding termites. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DieselkW
    Options
    By location I meant if you bought it at a local hardware store say on a pallet in the back or something you might make sure they aren’t breeding termites. 
    I understood that... and I will be returning the empty bag with the pictures I took, so they will be informed.
    I don't want to show the bag because this may be a problem at distribution, or storage, or retail and I don't want to impact the manufacturer.

Indianapolis, IN

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited May 2019
    Options
    If you don't want to post pictures or divulge any further then what's the point of this thread?

No offense, just seems dramatic
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    DieselkW said:

I removed the link since it requires access to my Google account. It was a video. My "still" picture shows the bag, and I don't want to start a huge  controversy here by slandering the lump vendor in case these are "my" termites and not their fault.
    Good call.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    By the way, I don’t know if this was Rockwood or not, but if it was, you’ll want to ping @stlcharcoal.  Jonathan is very responsive to stuff like this and will tell you what he thinks happened.  He’ll also just want to know based on what I’ve seen from him.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I am fairly certain that when they carbonize wood in a kiln... well termites probably wouldn’t survive that so the manufacturer should not even be in the discussion. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Wait... is it Friday!?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I didn't see your video but are you positive they were termites and not ants?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Any chance you can find a dead bug or two for close up inspection? As I recall termites need a readily available daily source of water whereas ants can do without.  That said then thousands of termites in an enclosed metal container seems unlikely.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Image result for termite cartoon metal

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Low and slow termites with a little brown sugar and BBQ sauce could be delicious.

Just kidding.  Hope your home is OK.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.