Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp probe in grease

Options
is there a temp set up like the maverick or something you can put in grease? My dads wanting a digital screen for a temp of his fish grease. He’s having trouble seeing the old fashion dials. I didn’t know if grease would kill a regular smoker probe even with the temp under the rating. 

XLBGE 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is fish grease? Do you mean oil such as veggie oil? I oftentime just use my trusty Thermapen to check oil temperatures.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I use my thermopen also.  Back when I did more frying, I would just leave a candy thermometer attached to the side wall of the pot
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    https://www.thermoworks.com/Frying

Thermoworks has quite a few bbq setups that pull double duty for frying too. 
    Arlington, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited May 2019
    Options
    RRP said:
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is fish grease? Do you mean oil such as veggie oil? I oftentime just use my trusty Thermapen to check oil temperatures.
    Oooops! I forgot to put a date frame to my experience! This was in the late 1950's. 

BTW I even remember for my birthday in 1957 a neighbor lady sent over a piece of some thing called a "pizza"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yea I suggested some candy type dial thermometers but he’s wanting a screen to read. I’m going to show him some thermapro stuff. I didn’t know how strong the probe needed to be to stay in the grease or if it even matter. 

XLBGE 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    This is probably overkill for your father's needs but maybe check out Phidgets.  I use a setup from them for assistance with my coffee roasting profiles.  

https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=1&catid=14&pcid=12
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Is he planning to use a clip to hold the probe on the side of the oil container? If so, pretty much any reasonable quality probe should work.
    If he wants one where the whole probe (up to and beyond the wire braiding) submerged in the grease he should look for one that is rated for submersion.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thermapen Used here at 71 and works fine for checking between batches. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would go with a Thermoworks product.  I already have a Smoke so this is the probe I would use for this application.

Pro-Series High Temp 12-inch Probe. The 12" straight penetration probe is great for monitoring internal temperatures of large cuts of meat, or deep insertion into soup pots, turkey frying or brew kettles. 

Cable Max Temp: 700°F (370°C)
    Transition Max Temp: 644°F (340°C)
    Transition Dimensions: 1.4 L x 0.35 inches dia. (35.6 L x 8.9 mm dia.)
    Probe Range: -58 to 572°F (-50 to 300°C)
    Probe Dimensions: 12 L x 0.13 inches dia. reduces to 0.08 inches dia. (305 L x 3 mm dia. reduces to 2 mm dia.)
    Cable Length: 47 inches (1.2m)
    Warranty: 6 months
    Works only with ThermoWorks Signals, Smoke, ChefAlarm®, BlueDOT™, and DOT®

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.