Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-Max. Should I pull the trigger?

Options
Flatfoot
Flatfoot Posts: 96
edited May 2019 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys/gals,

i currently own own a large and a mini. I have a chance to buy a brand new Mini-Max at a really great price. Tell me why I should/shouldn't. My wife and I are empty nesters and I use the mini a lot, but it's a little small at times. Thoughts?
LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
"Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    If your current mini is too small for you, why would you get a mini max?  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Asking the question here, for me implies that you know the answer.  I don't have either so can't directly comment on your request. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I own 2 L, and a MM, use the MM most often out of all three.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I just did this very thing a few days ago. I will be using the Minimax (My 8yr old sons new grill) to teach him how to grill and also for hot and fast searing. I will also take it camping and to the beach when we go.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The MiniMax will cook like the Mini. The Small will cook like the Large. Not sure if you like one way better than the other. 

I know you didn't mention the Small but just wanted to throw it out there. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Get it. mo' toys= mo' better.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If the mini is "too small at times", use the Large.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Not the right place for an unbiased answer to that question.  Enjoy the new MiniMax
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Flatfoot
    Options

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options
    Flatfoot said:
    Well, here's the deal. I was able to buy the Mini-Max for $379.00. I just couldn't pass it up. I know it may seem almost redundant given that I already had a mini, but as I mentioned earlier, my wife and I are empty-nesters and I use the mini far more than the large these days when it's just the two of us. I have often thought that just the tiniest bit more real estate on the grid would make a big difference. I guess time will tell. I may sell the Mini later, but I'm not going to get in a big hurry, as I think there might be times that having the ability to set up the two smaller ones in tandem might be handy, I.e., one direct and one indirect, etc.
    I have a Mini-Max and a large, and I use them both equally.  I primarily use the MM for steaks, chicken, burgers, and sides.  I use the large for pork butts, brisket, pizza, paella, and larger cooks.  I've never used a Mini, but I love my MM.  I think you made a good purchase.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    Flatfoot said:
    Well, here's the deal. I was able to buy the Mini-Max for $379.00. I just couldn't pass it up. I know it may seem almost redundant given that I already had a mini, but as I mentioned earlier, my wife and I are empty-nesters and I use the mini far more than the large these days when it's just the two of us. I have often thought that just the tiniest bit more real estate on the grid would make a big difference. I guess time will tell. I may sell the Mini later, but I'm not going to get in a big hurry, as I think there might be times that having the ability to set up the two smaller ones in tandem might be handy, I.e., one direct and one indirect, etc.
    That's a great deal MM in Canada is $850.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I too own the large and MM.  I can't say which one I use the most because ANY excuse at all to fire them both up works for me!  Even it's just a little side cook. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Buy it. Worth it. 
    It is almost an embarrasment of riches when we cook on the mmx while camping or tailgating.
    It is a great cooker, and if anything happened to my mmx, I would replace it, NQA.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Smart man
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Love the mm so long as you can keep the mini 
  • Flatfoot
    Options
    Love the mm so long as you can keep the mini 
    I am really loving the MM, but I've pretty well decided that I will keep my mini too!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Good choice on the keeping the mini around!  Its just a fun lil workhorse 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I would have bought that in a heart beat and taken the beating when I got home!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    @Flatfoot Every size has it's strong points and will get used as the situation dictates. Keep them all.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Like you just the two of us now and 5 Eggs. Use the Mini-Max and Mini 90% of the time. If i had to go to just two Eggs it would be the Mini-Max andMini. This is better than 12 years talking and that is what i would do. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Flatfoot
    Options
    Good choice on the keeping the mini around!  Its just a fun lil workhorse 

Yes, it is!  Right now I am completely enamoured with the MiniMax, so it is getting most of the love but I know the Mini will get plenty of use again!
  • Flatfoot
    Options
    Sammi said:
    @Flatfoot Every size has it's strong points and will get used as the situation dictates. Keep them all.
    Sammi, I like the way you think!
  • Flatfoot
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Like you just the two of us now and 5 Eggs. Use the Mini-Max and Mini 90% of the time. If i had to go to just two Eggs it would be the Mini-Max andMini. This is better than 12 years talking and that is what i would do. 
    Yes, Mickey, it seems my Large stays under the cover a lot these days. That being said, there are those moments when it's the obvious and only choice.