Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 lbs of Butt for Graduation Party

HendersonTRKing
HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
edited May 2019 in EggHead Forum
Grad party for the Princess and her Court Friday night. Also some of the King and Queen’s family and honored guests. It’s slathered and rubbed, but no brine. And it’ll get the peach preserve treatment @YukonRon

The plan is to put it on tonight so it’s done and rested in time to pull late afternoon, before the guests arrive. It’s pork butt — what possibly could go wrong?  (Don’t answer that, it’s rhetorical. Or go ahead and answer. What, Me Worry?)

More pix to follow as the progress progresses.  Possibly. 

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Looks awesome!  Should be some nice bark with that binder. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    @HendersonTRKing

This is My Beautiful Wife's favorite BGE cook. Dont be shy putting it on, because the bark will cake up.

Save some of that char and throw it into your next baked beans, or turnip greens, the flavor it adds is exceptional.

I hope they turn out for you....

Let me know what you think....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • looks like you're off to a good start
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • HendersonTRKing
    Fire prep time! Drinking the Kirk & Sweeney 23 year old. Pretty damn excited tbh. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Good times.  Sometime try the same without the mustard.  For me it works the same.  Congrats and have fun.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HendersonTRKing
    bgebrent said:
    Good times.  Sometime try the same without the mustard.  For me it works the same.  Congrats and have fun.
    I’ve always done the mustard. Does that make me weak?  I feel like it’s kind of a crutch. And I keep buying it in bulk at BJ’s, which kind of makes SWMBO a little nuts. (Is that so wrong?)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • GoooDawgs
    I cant tell a difference w or w/o mustard.  The rub seems to stick either way. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • HendersonTRKing
    Soooo, the butts cooked very quickly. Because of course they did. 

How long is ok/too long for FTC?  

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    I’ve held a butt for 6 hours FTC, some people longer. But just make sure the temp doesn’t drop below 140 (Danger zone).
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    I had some butts get done early last year for a Christmas party. I double wrapped them in foil and put them in my oven at the lowest temp. I held them that way for 8+ hours before I put them in a cooler to transport to the party.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Great food right there!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• YukonRon
    I have done that as well. I kept BPTC for six hours easy....and as a coincidence it was a 30# cook as well. Could have gone longer I think.
    How was the bark?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HendersonTRKing
    Appreciated the calming words. FTC for 5 hours with absolutely no problem. Best bark, best butts ever (thx @YukonRon!).  Served in 3 in big chafing dish, and when that ran low, pulled and served the 4th. Guests (70? 100? Lost count) kept coming up to me and asking some variant of “did you really make this!?!”  I gave all credit to the egg, which did the hard work.

I *think* there may be a tiny bit left for eggs this morning or nachos later, although the Princess had many, many friends sleep over (no driving home!!) and the smart money says they got into the leftovers late night/early morning. It was that kind of bash!

Only was able to snap a few pix before the frenzy. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • YukonRon
    That looks incredible...very nicely done!!!!
    I have about 3 pounds left frozen, from my 30# cook.

Did you see @Stormbringer post on Nachos?

I am doing that next. He smoked his with hickory, I am going to do peach with peach salsa. See how that works.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HendersonTRKing
    YukonRon said:
    That looks incredible...very nicely done!!!!
    I have about 3 pounds left frozen, from my 30# cook.

Did you see @Stormbringer post on Nachos?

I am doing that next. He smoked his with hickory, I am going to do peach with peach salsa. See how that works.
    I usually do pulled pork nacho “scoops” — individual bites of deliciousness with everything baked right in — pulled pork, cheese, a bit of bbq sauce and a sweet-hot jalapeño. But as I survey the aftermath around here, I see that the graduating class got into the bags of Doritos scoops I thought I had hidden well enough to survive the fiesta. And I can’t find any pork!  Not complaining — this party will be talked about for a while, and in a good way (unlike some grad parties)!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Those clever kids even had some fun with the sign. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @YukonRon do you make your own peach salsa? If so can you share a recipe. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• GoooDawgs
    looks awesome! The peach preserves technique from @YukonRon is phenomenal.   Lately I've been putting the preserves on when the internal temp is about 180.  When did you apply them?  I'm always worried if I put them on from the start then they would have fallen off or sweated off by the end.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • HendersonTRKing
    GoooDawgs said:
    looks awesome! The peach preserves technique from @YukonRon is phenomenal.   Lately I've been putting the preserves on when the internal temp is about 180.  When did you apply them?  I'm always worried if I put them on from the start then they would have fallen off or sweated off by the end.
    I do a “modified Ron” — I cut the peach preserves with vinegar and a bit of rub, whisk it together and put it on for  3 or 4 hours, depending on the cook. Works for me!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2019
    ryantt said:
    @YukonRon do you make your own peach salsa? If so can you share a recipe. 
    I use your run of the mill salsa recipe and add some chopped peaches from a a can. Just add until you hit the right flavor profile.
    Actually, that is like a lot of my recipies...just pitch in what you want to get the flavor/texture you seek.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Looks like a great time was had, pork looks perfect!
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Nice job - congrats!  More, congratulations on the graduation!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Wow, awesome cook!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Found some leftover pork!  Nacho fest tonight!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Now there is a real treat!! ^^^^^^
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL