Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and pulled pork

Options
KGilma2018
KGilma2018 Posts: 120
This Sunday, I am having about 20 people over for memorial day.  I have a 15.5 lbs prime packer and an 8 lbs pork shoulder.  This will be the 3rd time I've attempted each of these, but never at the same time.  The first two briskets were only choice flats, they were edible but kind of dry.  I'd like to not ruin a $50 prime brisket.  I plan on eating around 5pm Sunday.  I have a smokeware grate stacker for some extra space, and also a Flameboss 300 to control it.  I'm thinking 275*.  I know if I put the pork shoulder on about 5am, it will be done around 3pm at that temp.  What about the brisket?  I'm figuring it will weigh about 13 lbs +/- after trimming.  What time should I put it on?  10pm Saturday, Midnight Sunday morning?  FTC for a couple hours is no problem, I just want them both done before guests arrive.  Also, I want to make burnt ends with the point, any tips?
Franklin, TN

Comments

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I just cooked a 9 pound brisket flat yesterday.  Put it on a 7 AM at 275 -285 degrees and by 11 AM I double wrapped it as it was 165 degrees.  I use the Dr. BBQ method and pour about 3/4 of a cup of coffee in my wrap and finished it off by 1:15.  By that time my temp was down to about 250.  

The only thing Hong I would add is my brisket was out of the refrigerator for about 3 hours before going on the egg, so it was fairly warm.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Thanks.  I think I will still put it on between 10 and midnight Saturday night.  That will give me 15-17 hrs.  Hopefully it doesnt take that long, but i suspect it will slow down a bit when I throw the shoulder on Sunday morning about 5.  
    Franklin, TN
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    When I did my last prime brisket it cooked faster than the choice packer I cooked.  I’m sure others will respond with more experience. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    You can probably put it on around 4am Sunday, unless you prefer midnight. I’m an early riser due to the bakery life. 
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    You can probably put it on around 4am Sunday, unless you prefer midnight. I’m an early riser due to the bakery life. 
    I'm an early riser too.  I may put it on after midnight, and use the ol' texas crutch to power through the stall, to save some time.  
    Franklin, TN
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    One question I have is... with the grate stacker in, brisket on the bottom and pork on top.  Will the pork dripping on the brisket effect the bark?  
    Franklin, TN
  • BigMacBBQ
    BigMacBBQ Posts: 2
    Options
    @KGilma2018 - I'm also planning to cook a brisket (12lbs before trimming) this Sunday. I need to have mine done by 12 noon and I plan to cook it at 240F (dome temp) so that if it gets a bit more hot than I'm still okay. I plan to use my Egg Genius and start it at 11pm or so. It should be plenty of time based on my past experience and still give me lots of time to rest before eating. It would be great to see some pics of your brisket when you finish.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2019
    Options
    On a multi meat cook like this, always focus on the brisket. The Pork Butt are very forgiving in comparison. Both the brisket and butts will easily hold wrapped in foil for 4-5 hours. Just give them both a little rest before you wrap them tight in foil. You don't want to over cook them by foiling them too hot.
    You got this!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I do brisket over butts, but I don't think the drippings make a big difference either way.  Both are awesome - but I agree with @Photo Egg.  Take care of the brisket! That's your top priority! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Put the brisket on at midnight @265*.  5am iput the shoulder on and the brisket is already at 175*.  Going to let it go another hour then wrap it.
    Franklin, TN