Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen and a XL built in....

Options
So thing are in the works, I was able to find someone on Craigs list locally that wanted to purchase my entire set up for my Large...so super happy...especially since I am now shopping for my XL and my final design...

I am building an outdoor kitchen w a built in CC griddle and a space for the egg with a granite top... the space is NOT going to be covered with any type of permanent structure so will be open to the elements...

My decision and looking for the experts advice....

Do I wrap the granite around the egg?  Like in the first picture (just pics I found online)....

Or keep it open?

I am guessing if its wrapped, I will not be able to put a cover over the egg and concerned about being open to the elements in ohio.... but leaving it open, I liked the table set up I had, where I had workspace right up to the edge of the egg also...

Had someone send me a link to get a custom cover made to just go over the top of the egg to the counter top level...

Thoughts, suggestions???
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It depends on the look you want basically. Pros and cons to each. If open, make sure you secure it from tipping over especially if you have small kids or kids that will be over to your house. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Removing the base from the granite will be very difficult if it's built in.  You'll get at least 1 crack in the XL base that you'll need to replace, so I'd leave the front counter open for easier access.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I think the built in looks nicer. The open space makes a lot of sense though. The biggest hassle will be switching the base out. Which would maybe be once a year at most? 

Flip of a coin I'd say. Whatever you like best. Going to be one nice setup whatever you decide on. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pileit1971
    pileit1971 Posts: 136
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I think the built in looks nicer. The open space makes a lot of sense though. The biggest hassle will be switching the base out. Which would maybe be once a year at most? 

Flip of a coin I'd say. Whatever you like best. Going to be one nice setup whatever you decide on. 
    Referring to the “base”... are you talking about the piece of stone the bottom half of the egg sits on?

i used the “feet” before with my large... assuming they have something similar for
    the XL....

but if the egg egg isn’t covered will I run into problems w it?
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Base as in the bottom half of the actual ceramic egg.  XLs are notorious for cracked bases,  no matter what they sit on or if they're in a nest.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    My outdoor kitchen is covered. When it came time for cabinets and layout, I looked online and at what my buddies had. I opted to keep my XL egg in the nest for portability. I can move it from one side to the other depending on wind and weather conditions. Feet stay locked when it’s covered, no issues with the kiddos knocking it over, yet.....
  • WeberWho
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Base as in the bottom half of the actual ceramic egg.  XLs are notorious for cracked bases,  no matter what they sit on or if they're in a nest.
    GoooDawgs nailed it.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

i used the “feet” before with my large... assuming they have something similar for
    the XL....
    They make the table nest for the XL BGE. You might want to add that into your overall height dimension. Especially if you do decide to go with the granite surround. 

Minnesota
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I went with an open front for the LBGE in my island - ease of inserting and removing the egg, and was also concerned the bridge along the front would be fragile.  There's a table nest under the large. 

I got a cover from https://www.the-cover-store.com/ (no affiliation) that is designed to fit an egg in a table, covers to below the handle and spring band.

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i might be biased because i help design it, but JJ George sells a table nest now and its a universal fit to any size, you can get them on amazon or his website for free shipping both places.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• pileit1971
    Options
    WeberWho said:

So will be the first to admit, I use my egg, but I am not firing it up every night, I love it enough that is being built in and getting an XL,

but the cooks that have the XL, the base might crack once a year??  Or did I misunderstand you...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    @pileit1971 give the search function a try for "cracked base" and it might explain it better for you...  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2019
    Options
    WeberWho said:

So will be the first to admit, I use my egg, but I am not firing it up every night, I love it enough that is being built in and getting an XL,

but the cooks that have the XL, the base might crack once a year??  Or did I misunderstand you...
    I'd say that would be the worst case scenario. I'm not saying that's going to happen. I've heard people going through 3-4 XL bases before. Yours may never crack. 

Minnesota
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Interesting reading.... had my Large for 7 years and never had any issues...., but like I saw someone say, not sure how hard I looked for them either....  I don't do any pizzas, and other then searing, I am a low and slow kind of guy and cooker...

Guess I will look around for more info on what recommendations are for the bottom of the XL, seems that the KAB is a great tool, put possible culprit allowing hot coals get to the bottom... but wondering if the grate can be used with the KAB to prevent some of the hot coals to fall down but still use the KAB to clean out whats left over....

Also like the idea of leaving some ash in the bottom of the as well for some insulation... but I always liked a clean bottom to prevent any ash from updrafting, but guess that is kind of silly....

Also had my Large on a table nest and will do the same for my XL, and guessing that helps with air circulation and possible issues with bases...

Either way, still not worth giving up on it.... and guess will try to find a local dealer that would install the egg, and just let them come and replace it if it cracks....
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Well construction has finally begun.... first day was productive, and second day a little frustrating getting all the modules connected and level with each other... doesn't help when you the existing concrete patio slopes away from the house (like its supposed to) and my kitchen length is 12' so the drop from the beginning to the end was over 2.5"....

But got a lot of the little details, the cut outs installed, the two shelves built, one of the griddle and the other for my soon to be purchased XL--Probably the trickiest and more important part also...

Electrical tomorrow and some more leveling and getting ready for durarock, then granite, and then stone...

Looking for any suggestions for putting an patio umbrella built into the bar, between the two cooking surfaces... I know I can drill a hole thru granite and put a sleeve inside of it, but trying to figure a way to 'lock' it down so any kind of a gust of wind doesn't take it flying...

Would be nice to have that part covered as well...

Going to have one on the raised bar, but I can easily access it where the fridge is going, can just slide it out to tie it down...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    I would check with your granite guy.  Mine said go with a concrete top due to our winters. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Ill be starting soon on my outdoor 'kitchen' too. Ill be doing a cut out like the 2nd pic. 
    My XL is in a BGE table with feet/stand. Ill keep it on the stand in the new bbq island. 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I went with open front and back to ease in placing egg. I have replaced the base once on my XL in 7 yrs. Need to submit for 2nd, as this one is now cracked.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • pileit1971
    Options
    I would check with your granite guy.  Mine said go with a concrete top due to our winters. 
    My guy has said he didn't think it would be a problem...  have seen issues with concrete tops also, think sometimes our winters are just too harsh for just about anything sometimes...   Going to have 4 or 5 separate pieces, so if something has to be replaced, won't have to do the whole things...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    Ill be starting soon on my outdoor 'kitchen' too. Ill be doing a cut out like the 2nd pic. 
    My XL is in a BGE table with feet/stand. Ill keep it on the stand in the new bbq island. 
    I had mine originally in a separate table as well, but wanted to build it into a whole system, got a little bigger then I thought I originally planned, but continued the countertop along the house on the right because I figured it was going to be wasted space anyways...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • pileit1971
    Options
    I went with open front and back to ease in placing egg. I have replaced the base once on my XL in 7 yrs. Need to submit for 2nd, as this one is now cracked.
    I know, I am just worried, have lots of kids around and worried that someone would grab the handle and pull it over... know its a small chance, but don't want to risk it...

Hopefully don't regret it... it is going to be designed, where I would always cut the granite out and it could be an open front if I have to replace it more then I thought I would...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Bases are cracking once a year on XL's, that crazy!  My XL is going on 10 years and has never cracked.  Are they making them differently these days!?
    Anyway, my XL sits on a concrete shelf and then I placed a layer of fire bricks on top in which the egg sits on.  I don't know if the fire bricks helped with no cracking but I guess it didn't hurt!

By the way, I live in Wisconsin and I've never covered my egg and still looks great, no need to cover it.

Good luck on the project, looks like it gonna be really nice!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• pileit1971
    Options
    Unfortunately did not do the math correctly and we ran out of stone for the front veneer, but a truck is bringing another box Monday... but coming together nicely...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Bases are cracking once a year on XL's, that crazy!  My XL is going on 10 years and has never cracked.  Are they making them differently these days!?
    Anyway, my XL sits on a concrete shelf and then I placed a layer of fire bricks on top in which the egg sits on.  I don't know if the fire bricks helped with no cracking but I guess it didn't hurt!

By the way, I live in Wisconsin and I've never covered my egg and still looks great, no need to cover it.

Good luck on the project, looks like it gonna be really nice!

Mine also sits on fire brick, and this is the second time base is being replaced.
    They must've changed something in the manufacturing process.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset