Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Heading to Memphis and looking for restaurant recommendations.

Hey guys we are in another rally that will have us in the Memphis area for a few days of fun.  Looking for a few restaurants to check out. We like all kinds of different food/cocktails. TIA
Edina, MN

Comments

• REB17REB17 Posts: 41
    It's not bbq and a little pricey but my favorite place in Memphis is Flights. Downtown on Main.
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Glen Allen, VA
  • 1voyager1voyager Posts: 623
    Melissa Cookston's Memphis Barbecue Company. It's located in Horn Lake, Mississippi, 22 miles from downtown Memphis. It's worth the short drive. Fabulous BBQ.
    Somewhere in Colorado
    LBGE, PGS A40 Gasser and too much Griswold cast iron cookware.
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,411
    Agree that Flight is a great place.   If you like Thai food, Bhan Thai is excellent (in midtown).  Tsunami is always solid in the Cooper Young neighborhood.  Gus’s fried chicken was mentioned in an earlier thread - it’s a dive, but great chicken. 

Post which part of town are you staying and I can get a bit more specific. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, (Akron was gifted to a friend)
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 667
    @mEGG_My_Day we will be staying right off of Beale  Street.  Appreciate you recommendations.

Edina, MN

• saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 4,579
    Central BBQ, Gus's, Majestic are top notch.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

@saluki2007 Thanks for the recommendations.  They are look great, Gus's looks awesome!

Edina, MN

• REB17REB17 Posts: 41
    Gus's is definitely a must but either get there early, 11-11:30 or after 1:30 for lunch.
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Glen Allen, VA
    edited May 17
    Budgeezer said:
    @mEGG_My_Day we will be staying right off of Beale  Street.  Appreciate you recommendations.

I’ll post some more as they come to me, but you should really go get a drink at least at Itta Bena. It is very close to your hotel on the second floor above B.B.kings at Beale and Second street.  There is no signage, they really don’t advertise and the entrance is somewhat hidden.  So ask at your hotel, or go into B.B. Kings and ask them how to get up there.  Kinda has a speakeasy feel and they often have a live piano player/vocalist. Very cool place with a more upscale feel than the rest of Beale Street. 

Memphis, TN 

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 14,050
    Don't bother with Rendezvous. Cool place, walking distance from BB King's on Beale St. But the ribs... no thanks. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Agree with Itta Bena. And if you are looking for somewhere to "lay low" for a minute on Beale go-to the Absinth Room. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

• dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,675
    Been years but is Automatic Slims still open?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
    dmchicago said:
    Been years but is Automatic Slims still open?
    Yes - but you just don’t here of folks going there anymore.  Probably been 15 years since I went in there. 
    Memphis, TN 

• leemschuleemschu Posts: 556
    I like Gus’s first, cozy corner bbq second, Texas de Brazil third (at lunch half price).
    Dyersburg, TN
    @leemschu appreciate your input! 
    Edina, MN

• hogfan412hogfan412 Posts: 56
    Ok...Live an hour outside Memphis.   It is where we go to have fun.

Gus's.   Must have.

BBQ Shop.   Best BBQ in Memphis.

Blues City Cafe on Beale - solid eats and drinks.

Have fun - the city is fun.
  • leemschuleemschu Posts: 556
    Budgeezer said:
    @leemschu appreciate your input! 
    Just a warning if you go to Gus’s to get to eager because it will be fresh out of the fryer and will make the skin in the roof of you mouth hang like curtains.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • jdm78jdm78 Posts: 1
    Central BBQ
  • dannysdannys Posts: 77
    Just got back from a wedding in Memphis. Went to Central Market for BBQ and Second Line for lunch. Stay away from both. I've had better BBQ here in Mass (and MUCH better in Austin, etc.) and the lunch at 2nd line was mediocre at best.
    3 more recommendations I forgot about.  Go to Pearl's and get some Char-grill oysters and you have to go to the Arcade for breakfast.  If you need a late night burger (like after 11) go to Earnestine and Hazel.
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

• HellrodKCHellrodKC Posts: 165
    If you are looking for a late night grease-bomb meal, check out Dyer's burgers on Beale Street. 
    @saluki2007 thanks for adding to the list!  Can't wait to check it out!

Edina, MN

• whitmans77whitmans77 Posts: 2
    Not BBQ but check out Chings wings and get the honey gold sauce
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 7,282
    edited May 24
    Is Paulette's still good?  When I lived there it was the best meal for the money in that town.  Same quality as the most expensive restaurants in town at about 2/3 the price - or less.

And Cozy Corner would be highest on my BBQ list just because it's such a dive.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 8,913
    +1 for Central.  Did anyone mention Rendezvous yet?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • OshawaDaveOshawaDave Posts: 178

Was in Memphis in 2017 and Central was good. for a great burger and comfort food try Hueys downtown

https://hueyburger.com/

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• BLDGMANBLDGMAN Posts: 30
    If you’re going though Jackson stop at exit 87 BBQ stand on I-40. 
  • Markarm4119Markarm4119 Posts: 471
    I don't know if there still open, but Grisanti's used to have great Italian food.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Hairless_HandHairless_Hand Posts: 190
    Payne’s BBQ 
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  Heading out later this week. 
    Edina, MN