Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! How to cook a 2"-thick rolled-up ribeye cap steak (actually two of them)

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited May 2019 in EggHead Forum
So gorgeous at Costco, but I don't want to ruin it. Roast in a low oven for a while to what temp before searing it? Or the reverse?

Thanks, anyone.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A lot of people unroll them, then just grill hot and fast.  One of many options.
    Options
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    How do you eat steak? If rare cook hot direct, if less than rare some reverse sear.
    You can unroll it but I prefer it rolled up. Enjoy 
    Jacksonville FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would not recommend SV.  Not a fan after trying it a few times. 

My personal favorite is caveman style. Whether you leave them tied,  or not. 

And lastly, don't let anyone tell you that a searing hot CI pan on the stove isn't a good option (not that you would, but I thought I should mention it :) )

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I unroll and go hot and fast.  Very fatty cut so I like high heat to help get it leaner.  Very delicious. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    have never come across them but might cook it this way if i did. this was with pinwheel flank steaks (why would anyone stuff a steak like this)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Mark cooked me these on a visit to his castle a while back. Paired them with lobster tails and a nice cab (as i recall). He is on point here (the link) as it was as good a steak as i have ever eaten. You don't know how much it pains me to give him all that credit (JKOC). ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Mark cooked me these on a visit to his castle a while back. Paired them with lobster tails and a nice cab (as i recall). He is on point here (the link) as it was as good a steak as i have ever eaten. You don't know how much it pains me to give him all that credit (JKOC). ;)
    That said, i am looking forward to Brent cooking me one so i can see if he really was a good listener. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    I like to cook them as low as you can keep your egg, like 200 indirect for me. Cook them indirect until you get close to your desired temp. I think I took ours to 120 which took about an hour or so and then hit it with a sear at 600+ down close, pull and hit it with a pad of garlic butter.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I believe they roll them just for packaging reasons. I always unroll them and cook them hot and fast. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    For everyone out there that likes these (and who doesn’t?!?!) when you are at your Costco, ask for them to cut it and leave it whole as a roast.  When you get home, cut it in pieces as large/small as you want or even cook it whole. 

To to be honest, at the same store I have had mixed results doing this. A few times they cut it for me as I was standing there, one time I was told I had to order it (I called in the AM and picked up after work the next day), and a few times time they said they would not do it as “it is not in the system that way”.   I guess it all depends who you get, how busy they are and what kind of mood they are in. 
    Unfortunately for @northGAcock  when he came to visit it was one of the times they would not do it for me. Worth giving it a try though - nothing to lose. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.