Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ace Hardware may not be our friend

Options
2»

Comments

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options

This. Ace Hardware is different from Home Depot or Lowe’s. Each Ace is a franchise that is typically locally owned and is often run by the owner. Therefore, you are not going to see the same level of consistency as you do in the big box stores. The Ace near me features BGE prominently and the sales people are very knowledgeable about the products.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    At least ACE carries push-bolts. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I did learn what proselytize means today

I haven't,,,,yet.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    pros·e·lyt·ize
    /ˈpräs(ə)ləˌtīz/
    verb
    1. convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Ironically I cooked at the one in my hometown today and he used nothing but BGE. He sold 8 today alone. <\/p>

It&#039;s all in who&#039;s running the business and what their motivation is<\/p>"}}">https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2429079#Comment_2429079

This. Ace Hardware is different from Home Depot or Lowe’s. Each Ace is a franchise that is typically locally owned and is often run by the owner. Therefore, you are not going to see the same level of consistency as you do in the big box stores. The Ace near me features BGE prominently and the sales people are very knowledgeable about the products.

Yep. The quality of Ace service, inventory and management depends on the franchisee. 

For example, there are two Ace franchisees where I live. One has three stores and their employees can't even spell Big Green Egg. They have limited inventory and it's stuffed in the back in a corner of their stores. 

The other franchisee has five stores and displays every Big Green Egg model, even the monster 2XL, and many accessories at the entrance of their stores. Every employee I have spoken to is well trained about the features of BGE products.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I did learn what proselytize means today

...and I learned what a planogram was!   :)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have both and the trager is a piece of junk compared to the egg. Trager will be used this summer but only for baking so we don't have to use the oven. Tragers are very easy to use but no comparison as far as smoker IMO.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    jeffc5227 said:
    I have both and the trager is a piece of junk compared to the egg. Trager will be used this summer but only for baking so we don't have to use the oven. Tragers are very easy to use but no comparison as far as smoker IMO.
    How do you get a clean burn for baking? My uncle has one and said it adds smoke flavor to everything  he wants something neutral for baking  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Pellet ovens are taking over the bbq world.  I love it, I find so many good deals on webers and kamados from people that are "upgrading" to a traeger oven.  People ask me all of the time what cooker to buy because they know of my many green eggs in the back yard.  I honestly tell them to get a pellet oven based on the way they cook or what they want.  They want to load fuel, and push start.  The pellet oven is perfect for that.

I sold my pellet oven last month to buy a smobot, well worth the trade.  I would never sell my kettle or wsm tho, they put out incredible food and last forever.  I would expect retailers to push pellet ovens over anything else because common user satisfaction would be so high, and the return business would be the same.  When someone starts selling a kamado with a pellet hopper and does it in an intuitive way, I think that will be magic for people.  I will stick with my old school webers and eggs.  I have a Smokin-it #3 electric smoker (cookshack clone) that I really like for automated bbq, it puts out great food, too.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

I'm with Cali - I don't care what others buy or what Ace pushes. If I were buying today, knowing what I know after nearly 10 years of egging, I doubt I'd buy an egg myself. Probably another kettle. Or an Akorn.

Or a new stove. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    How do you get a clean burn for baking? My uncle has one and said it adds smoke flavor to everything  he wants something neutral for baking  
    I don't really do a clean burn. We will make quick pizzas,lasagna and many other dishes when i don't have the time to fire up the egg it really isn't ever to smokey. There versatility is nice but nothing compared to the egg. 
  • Bottomfeeder28
    Options
    My neighbor / friend is an idiot. He swears by his Trager. He cooks every thing on it. He refuses to buy and type of thermometer. Half his stuff is way under cooked. Next to his Trager is an expensive gas grill. He will not use it ever. He thinks hes going to get $1000 for it off craigslist. I just laugh. Ill stick with my kamado anyday. Chris