Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack o’ Lamb Not Nearly as Good as Cen-Tex’s!

Options

Why bother posting, one might ask? IDK — it was pretty good, not the best I’ve ever had or made, and not caveman’d like the incredible cook @The Cen-Tex Smoker just posted.

Nope, this was a “simple” Dijon-herb slather and reverse sear when it hit 132 IT. Thermopen doesn’t lie (it’s not POTUS!), but the meat seemed a bit red for MR and it was tougher than I’d have liked. No matter — it was pretty good regardless and our small and hungry fam managed to eat well.

Sous vide + Caveman next time! Although at the end of the day, I much prefer a butterflied leg o’ lamb to the rack, so maybe I’ll go back to that.

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

Great looking plate right there. I would crush that-congrats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

I’ll take that all day.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

nothing wrong with that! Looks incredible to me.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

Oh, MAN that looks GOOD!!! It looks pretty rare, and I wouldn't want it any rarer, but it's clearly not raw, and it actually looks wonderful to me! I'm not sure why it would have been tough, but I think it must have been the meat itself, not the cook.

I admit that I have very little experience with my sous vide unit. But seriously, if the choice is between the lamb spending most of its cooking time in a plastic bag in hot water, or sitting in my Big Green Egg with wood smoke, why in the WORLD would I choose to cook it in a plastic bag? If all you care about is the precision of the temperature control, fine, but I just can't believe that the flavor can possibly be the same if it's mostly cooked in a plastic bag, or if it's sitting in wood smoke for most or all of the cook.

You know what you got with your Thermapen's temp reading, so I'd do EXACTLY the same thing again next time, only take the low-and-slow smoke part to a slightly higher temp.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options

It all looks great!

Stillwater, MN
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options

That looks amazing