Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Ideas?

Options

Ive got some large fresh frozen Gulf Shrimp. Looking for cooking suggestions on egg as far as temp and time. It’s been a long time since I’ve tried to grill any shrimp.

Planning on a night of shrimp, jalapeño poppers and sweet potato fries. I’m giving myself a week to prep.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

Go crazy hot n fast. Season with a Cajun rub. Maybe 2-3 mins per side. Don’t overcook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options

GLS

Grilled Shrimp Cocktail

For the large ones, make sure they are deveined. If you bought them frozen, that's probably done.

Mountain View, CA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Amazing treat is bacon wrapped bbq shrimp. Par cook thin cut bacon. Wrap each piece of shrimp in half a strip and secure with water soaked toothpick. Season shrimp with S & P. Cook hot and fast (2-2.5’ on first side and 1-1.5’ on second side). Brush both sides with bbq sauce of choice whilst cooking and then be a rock star. Easiest to use 2 skewers on each set of shrimp for easy turning. A favorite.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 77bronco
    77bronco Posts: 56
    Options

Try green lightning shrimp. Cook fairly hot. Only takes a few minutes per side. My wife doesn’t like cilantro, but loves this recipe in spite of all the cilantro in the marinade

http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/05/green-lightning-shrimp/

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

I think most people suggest a lower temp, but I find that the shrimp get cooked without getting any sear, much less a bit of char. So like @Mattman3969 above, I prefer a hotter temp (though maybe for me, not "crazy hot"). I think I usually grill them at around 500° dome, and rather briefly, maybe 2 minutes a side, but really going more by whether they look done than by time. Overcooked shrimp are still tasty, but they're a lot better when they're tender and juicy.

I keep raving about Steve Raichlen's recipe called "Gulf Coast Shrimp" because it's my favorite shrimp recipe! But this one is also good, and it's super quick and easy:

Fiery Asian Shrimp

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 lb. large (16-20 count) Shrimp peeled & deveined 

4 1/2 Tbls. hot chili sauce (Sriracha hot sauce preferred) 

4 1/2 Tbls. olive oil 

1 tablespoon sesame oil 

3/8 teaspoon sea salt 

1 tablespoon Sugar 

6-7 1/2 cloves Garlic finely chopped

Garnish (Important!):

4 1/2 Tbls. green onions chopped 

Lemon or lime wedges 

DIRECTIONS:

Combine chili sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, sea salt, sugar and garlic in a large ziplock bag. Mix together well. Add shrimp and let marinate for 30 minutes to an hour. 

Skewer shrimp and grill on BGE direct at 500° or so for 2-3 minutes per side until shrimp are done. Do not overcook. (Recipe originally said 350-375° for the same amount of time, but there was no charring at all at around 400. I liked them better cooked at 500 or more.)

DO NOT FORGET: Plate and sprinkle green onions over shrimp and squeeze lime or lemon juice on shrimp and serve. (Definitely do this: the lime flavor was really good in this dish, and I think it would have been less wonderful without it.)

Marinating pineapple chunks also (with just Sriracha), and alternating them with shrimp on skewers, was really good. I could imagine peppers would be a good addition, too.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Consider me a vote for the Green lightning! Bacon wrapped shrimp are also pretty bada$$.

You can also go shrimp brochette and add a slice of jalapeno to the shrimp before wrapping it in bacon.

https://hispanickitchen.com/recipes/mesquite-grilled-camarones-shrimp-brochette/

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options

I did Green Lightning shrimp this past weekend for the out of town family and it was a bit .

LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

one of my best friends owns a shrimp boat. You want insanely hot and short cook times. You can just put salt and pepper and olive oil and they will be great off a searing hot egg, close to the flame.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options

stuff with horseradish, as much as possible. wrap with semi precooked bacon or some thin cut proscuitto and grill. one more finger food to go with what you got. you cant use too much horseradish with this

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options

I have made and enjoyed this recipe many times:

https://www.skinnytaste.com/bangin-grilled-shrimp-skewers/

Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

I’ve done this with jalapeños, but love the horseradish idea. Definitely going to try this.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

I often make a Thai curry (usually green) and cook whatever veg in it, then add fresh shrimp to the simmering sauce. They cook gently and quickly. Also add a big handful of spinach to it with or just after the shrimp as that wilts quickly.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Another idea similar to bacon wrapped is do shrimp wrapped sausage on a stick.

Ignore that little black sideways egg.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

I love these posts! I always ending up saving the recipes posted!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

with shrimp I would go big

Options

Did some amazing shrimp last weekend..soak a couple of wood planks (we used Alder) for at least an hour - preferably longer. Get your Egg to 350. Once at temp, remove planks, shake off excess water and put on (non-cooking side down) to char/smoke for a bit. Peel and de-vein some good sized (we used 21-25) raw shrimp. Dust with your favorite rub - we used blackening seasoning, and gently cover/toss with canola oil.

Once the planks are smoking good, brush some additional oil on the cooking side and put shrimp onto planks. Cook for 3 min and gently flip. Cook an additional 3 min and remove (plank and all) to serve.

I've seen conflicting info on "done" temps (Thermoworks says 120..other places all the way up to 160 which is likely gonna be very tough), but the 3 min per side at 350 seems to be a winner. You definitely don't want the shrimp to start "curling" as that indicates overcooked..

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)