Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ponzu Mojo Lime Turkey Wings

smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited April 2019 in EggHead Forum

While I’ve made plenty of poultry based meals, including chicken wings, I’ve not attempted to cook turkey wings.  As such, I went with turkey wings for this new recipe.  The marinade was simple – ponzu, mojo, clover honey and fresh lime juice.

The wings were marinated for 6 hours and were then air-dried on a rack in the fridge overnight. They were coated with Dizzy Pig’s Tsunami Spin prior to tossing them on the Egg with oak and cherry woods at 325F.

Quick shot after about an hour.

Pineapple coconut polenta cornbread was made as an accompaniment. Pineapple chunks were simmered in coconut juice and eventually puréed until the mix was of a smooth applesauce consistency, which was then cooled before being added to the cornbread batter.

The turkey wings were done after another 45 minutes.

Campari tomatoes were smoked for a salad for 30 minutes and then dinner was served.

The flavor imparted by the ponzu marinade was nice and citrousy, with the sweetness from the honey providing a good counterbalance.  I have always found turkey to be less tender than chicken. I think I’ll try this again with chicken wings.  The pineapple coconut polenta cornbread is a keeper.  Good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338

That Turkey looks special. Great looking cook.

Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868

I like everything about this post, and that corn bread looks special. Damn.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

As always a great post and documentation. Tomatoes and corn bread look off the chart. Thanks for sharing.

Gotta admit I scrolled thru to see your verdict on the turkey wings. You were kind. I have given stand-alone turkey wings a run around Thanksgiving for a couple of years. Never did get 'em right. Too many tendons for me.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025

@JohnInCarolina You should give the pineapple-coconut polenta cornbread a try. It was very delicious.

@lousubcap Glad to know it's not just me. They really are quite different from their chicken cousins. I even tried the same marinade on another batch of turkey wings and left them in for 24 hours. Absolutely no change in texture. Tough like duck wings.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

Your cook and presentation was awesome as always. I’ve always fought with turkey wings being edible. Again not knocking you cook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653

Outstanding as always. I agree on the chicken wings vs turkey. Well done.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533

Fantastic as always. You are an inspiration... Wings especially look fantastic...

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Excellent in every way.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga