Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Pork Butt

Options

My first pork butt. I smoked @ 250° for around 9 hours. I tried using parchment paper during the stall but it wouldn't move so I re-wrapped in foil.. Not bad... Suggestions?

Also recommendation for Rubs? I been making my own but they either come out too salty, too bland, or too spicy (for everyone else)

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

Beautiful.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options

Myself, I don’t wrap butts. I use homemade rubs, too. I use a drip pan to catch those rich, smokey drippings - great to moisten leftovers. Weekend before last I did 3 overnight on my large - they went almost 12 hours, then wrapped in foil and into a cooler for transport to a party - served them about 3 hours after pulling off the egg. They were perfect.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options

Can't see the pictures, but I use Meatheads Memphis Dust on all things pork: ribs,shoulder, roast, chops etc.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Try brining your pirk butt. Takes it to an entirely different level.

Your cook looks delicious. Congrats on a fine job.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Make your rubs salt free. Salt or brine as you want. Then you can add as much rub as you want without the worry of oversalting.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

The rub recipes on Amazing Ribs are solid. Try the Memphis Dust.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/rubs-and-pastes

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options

Nice cook - well done. I’m also in the no wrap butt/shoulder camp.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet