Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Aaron does Steak

HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,181

One of Bezos' minions just dropped by and one of the items was a copy of Aaron Franklin's new book "Franklin Steak".

Just giving it a quick flip thru I see that it has a nice full page pix of a BGE and a section discussing kamados. Sorry folks, he's not a fan of kamados for cooking steak - "Kamado-style cookers are excellent devices for cooking many thing. Unfortunately, steak is not one of them."

So time to quit trying and to just buy another grill I guess.

Camped out in the (757/804)

Comments

• LegumeLegume Posts: 9,722

Nice trolling @HeavyG

You're going to get all of the “I bleed GREEN” crowd going.

@EggNorth I’m sure Franklin wasn’t meaning to criticize your steaks specifically. Besides, with steaks that good, you don’t really need a book anyway.

Austin, TX
  • CornfedMACornfedMA Posts: 189

Are they the perfect steak cooking apparatus, no. But nothing beats a thick cut, reverse seared steak, finished caveman style.

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,300

I bleed green. F u man.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CornfedMACornfedMA Posts: 189

It’s true. I’ve got 2 XL’s and I like em. But, if I were buying them both today, I’m not sure I’d buy green...

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 14,698

@HeavyG I look forward to your next thread, where you’ll show us all how it’s really done.

"A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 2,208

I bet I could light a good fire to cook steak using this book as a fire starter .

John - SLC, UT

2XL, XL, 3 Larges (each kid gets one), Med, MM, 2 Minis

• dharleydharley Posts: 333

This is the first time the forum has ever saved me money.

LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • BotchBotch Posts: 7,990
    edited April 10

I'm curious as to what, specifically, Mr. F thought the downsides of Mr. Egg were, regarding grilling steaks. Care to elaborate? She can get as hot as you want, do caveman/reverse-sear/drop-in-the-coals/etc, go direct/indirect, use reflected heat from the dome, or not, use virtually no smoke, or too much, etc etc etc....

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  

He probably only cooks skinny steaks.

• HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,181

I've been putting all the spare change I find in a big jar in order to fund a new camera just so I can take food pictures. Got about $33.00 now so only need about $47,967.00 more for the Hasselblad H6D-400c I've been dreaming about.

Might need a new tripod also but I think my old Bogen 3040 might be up to the task.

Can't wait to upload one of its 550Mb TIFF files (that oughta melt @Botch's phone). 😊

Camped out in the (757/804)
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 1,881

The egg is an excellent steak cooker. I can reverse sear, I can go caveman , I can get my kamado up over 900 degrees....so what’s wrong with it?

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 
    Check out Chef Norah Grace on Instagram @the_buckeye_bbq
  • BotchBotch Posts: 7,990
    edited April 10

HeavyG said:

Can't wait to upload one of its 550Mb TIFF files (that oughta melt @Botch's phone).

It's only you young punks that have phones with pictures. Get off my lawn.

😜

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,628

When it comes to steaks, two words: Sous Vide bitches.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 12,534

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 520

I'm also curious to know his complaints. Like others have said, the egg can get screaming hot, create indirect/direct/reflective heat, et cetera. The only issue I could see is that the grid isn't a solid cooking surface, which means less caramelization, but that problem is easily solved with a cast iron pan. You can't do sous vide on the egg, I'll grant that, but pretty much everything else is a go.

Southern California
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 12,534

I actually cooked a damn decent skinny prime ribeye in a SS skillet the other day. It was good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,850

So I’m assuming at some point you will have a full picture documentation on how to cook steaks? Trollin trollin trollin.

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Applies well to Tri tips for me. Others not so much.

• SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 1,756

He probably just hasn’t spent enough time with one. I found the BGE extremely cumbersome at first too and missed my kettle and the kettle style of grilling. I was ready to give mine away there for the first few months. Then it started to click.

This is his 2nd book bashing the BGE, haha. Meathead isn’t a fan either.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
    edited April 10

I’d say it roast and puts a crust on a steak or prime rib just fine .

Massillon Ohio 

In his defense, he said they work just fine for roasting which is what you did with that prime rib there.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 

Then I cranked it up to 700 and put the crust on it.

Massillon Ohio 
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,850
    edited April 10

I think @ryantt was just showing how you could do a prime rib without the need to sear I know this method works.

No need to be combative. We’re all here to learn and increase our abilities for cooking

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Combative? Definitely wasn’t my intent. Was just pointing out that Aaron said he didn’t like the BGE for steak, but said they work great for long cooks like a prime rib.

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 8,648

Aaron probably like Beto anyway, soooo.....

I think steak is one of the better things the egg can do. So screw you Aaron!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95