Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Avocados

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095

We love this dish...very simple and just wonderful. Lightly grill cut avocados and lemon halves. Serve with chopped herbs (I used fresh mint and basil), tomatoes, salt, a drizzle of EVOO and squeeze the grilled lime. Toasted pine nuts too but I sadly forgot tonight.

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @CPARKTX
    It looks outstanding brother. For some reason I have never grilled avocados. Usually make guacamole out of them or cut them up to go with tacos. I’m going to give grilling them a go. Again, it looks great brother 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I love avocados. Especially in salads. I even cut them in half and eat them plain with a spoon right out the shell. In fact it's one of my favorite off all fruits!
    But I must tell you. I grilled them once and I was more then disappointed. I found the taste terribly weird. 
    I'll eat my alligator pears fresh not grilled.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I like your use of lemons.  I fill mine with Italian dressing.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    We do that with the addition of small moz pearls.  Nice job 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    How hot do you grill at, and for how long?  Do you start with the avocado chilled or room temp?  I've tried a few times and most of the time I end up with a mushy mess.
  • clintmiller
    Options
    I like to take the skin completely off, cut them in half, brush with balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. Then cut side down over medium direct heat for 5 minutes. Flip. Stuff the cutout where the seed was with blue cheese. Then cook cut side up for another 5 minutes. The blue cheese and avocado complement each other very well.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Never seen this before!  I'm gonna have to try this one out for sure.
    NC - LBGE