Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT..Early to Bed, Early to Rise?

Who hear lives by that mantra? I used to do it, but as I've gotten older I've gravitated more to a hoot owl.

Seems as though I've progressively gotten unhealthier with that change

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338

That used to be me, but I got put on a graveyard shift at work. I suppose I am still early to rise though for the hours I work.

Las Vegas, NV

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324

That's pretty much been me for a number of years, now. It's just something that has evolved over time for me. Nothing that I really set my mind to do.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882

I work 4 to midnight right now, so I go to bed around 1 and get up around 7:30 to 8 am.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532

I’ve been up for 40ish hrs at this point, just can’t sleep....I have days when my mind just won’t stop running, and this is one of them.

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

There was a good programme on TV here last night about your body clock and how shift work screws you up. Apparently, it helps if you keep lighting appropriate to your shift pattern, so avoid daylight / blue light (screens) before you go to sleep, use blackout curtains if sleeping in the day and expose yourself to daylight as soon as you get up so your body thinks it's morning.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

I sleep well these days, knocking off the booze has made a massive difference to the quality of my sleep. I am sometimes up late (gone 1 last night, went out to adjust the brakes on the Husky at about 12:30!) but better quality sleep means I'm still OK with 6 hours sleep.

• That sounds like me. I am often to bed by about 10pm and rise at 5am or earlier. But I am no great sleeper, so lots of departures from the above.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869

Good morning.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516

Yep. Morning.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617

5am , We used to have to work an hour before breakfast on the farm. I guess it stuck.

Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843

i like the morning but not super early to bed either. i normally get to the gym around 3 and then to the office by 5. its my time to myself with no phone calls and no one needing me in meetings.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088

I will take a sunrise over a sunset anytime. While I have an alarm set for 5:30am “just in case” I am always up before it and turn it off. Usually that is about 4:30-4:45.

I am in bed every night by 9 when home. If I make it to 10:30 I am a zombie. I have been this way all my life. Best time of the day for me is “false dawn”. The time when you can see enough without artificial light but the sun is not yet up. I love it whether I am in the backyard, at the beach or on the boat.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • dmchicago

Ok. Now I’m really up.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029

My Mom has a procedure this morning that mandated I set my alarm for 5:30. I haven't seen 530 am but twice in the last 2 years. Man I had forgotten how scary it was. 😬

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• dmchicago

I go to bed/fall asleep on the couch between 10 and 11 most nights.

Im up between 6and 6:30 Monday thru Saturday cause I work out at 7:30.

Sunday im lazy af.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2019

Since the bridge burned down here in ATL a couple years ago and traffic got turned upside down for months I had to adjust my schedule. I started leaving at 5:45 instead of 7 then never switched back. It allows me to make the 30 mile drive in 25 minutes instead of 50-75. I usually knock out about 11:30 so I don't think that's really "early to bed" but close.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529

I get up between 0330 and 0400, perform my diurnal ablutions, and am off to work by 0500. I get home around 1530 and try to get my eight hours of beauty rest (doesn't seem too effective!) before starting over again. On the weekends I sleep late until 0600 or 0700.

Although my job isn't unusually stressful, I don't sleep well on Sunday nights, sometime only getting three hours of good sleep. Monday is my Zombie day.

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Given my work commute, I usually get up about five minutes before 8:00. I grab a nap when I can (maybe 1 or 2 a week).....and usually head to bed around 10:00. I like my sleep.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I'm up about 0330 - to the gym at 0400, home & showered by 0600, off to work by 0700 and then to bed about 2030

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671

in a few weeks ill be up before nautical dawn every weekend, usually already out in the boat before the horizon appears, trolling away from sunup. the morning twilight is the best fishing of the day. that happens from iceout til some time in december. other than that i sleep in, 6am. i probably heard about snl for ten years before actually seeing a show

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286

I had to be at work at 7 ack emma or earlier for more than 35 years. In two years of retirement I have transitioned to up between 7 and 9 and to sleep after midnight or two am. I have lost 44 pounds and am much healthier in general. This was always a natural tendency for me . The dog even adapted.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

I reject the idea that you can be a morning person or not. I think some people just live in the wrong time zone.

Some of us are wired to be semi-nomadic and our internal clock sets the direction we should migrate. I’m probably a few years away from needing to live in Hawaii.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Legume

‎Apr‎ ‎2‎, ‎2019

I think some people just live in the wrong time zone.

My sleeping is so f'ed up, I think I might be on the wrong planet

Phoenix 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

I go to bed somewhere around 10-11PM. Lay there with my mind going 100mph thinking about sheet, usually work related, tossing and turning for hours. Fall asleep after midnight and the alarm goes off at 5:30am.

It sucks. Maybe I should drink more 🍻

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125

I can get up at 3AM to go hunting or fishing with no problem. Getting up at 5AM for work is a different story.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432

My first two years in college (Iowa State) I studied until 0200, then got up at 0600, almost every day. I could not sustain that, even at that age. Oof-dah.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure