Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does brand matter when buying curing salt?

Options
mEGG_My_Day
mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653

For you curing experts - do you have a preferred brand when buying curing salt?

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

No brand loyalty.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

“Brand” does not matter at all. “Type” however matters significantly.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

number 1 is somewhere around 6.25% sodium nitrite and the balance salt (sodium chloride). Number 2 it the same except with a bit of sodium nitrate, which is "time release" sodium nitrite. Some pink dye is usually added. The chemicals do not differ between brands, it is tightly controlled by law. Tenderquik (sp?) is a Morton product that's used full strength, so it is much diluted. Don't confuse it with the 1 and 2 Prague powders.

Options

Thanks y’all. Was about to order some Prague #1 to make some bacon using this recipe - didn’t know if quality of curing salts vary.

Memphis, TN 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Brent, either the label is wrong or that's some special weird stuff.

@bgebrent

edited March 2019
    Options

@nolaegghead that is butcher& packers product I have and use the same stuff.

@mEGG_My_Day no loyalty here either. I do a lot of charcuterie, so I order as needed when other items are ordered as well. While prices can vary from place to place, factor in shipping cost and see where you end up.

I have no idea how much experience you have or what you end goal is here, so I apologize if any of the following is common knowledge and basic information to you.

If you order online, remember that although it may be tempting to get the larger quantities, a little goes a long, long, looooog way. But then again, I do not think it goes bad. And secondly, make sure you are using the right one for the right application.

Cure 1 for bacon and some “fresh” sausages.

Cure 2 for longer curing/ drying whole muscles, (pancetta, lonzino, prosciutto) and dry fermented sausages.

Edit: Reread the thread - Bacon - cure 1 and you are good. Enjoy! You are in for some good stuff!

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options

An interesting read from a few days ago about the actual need/effectiveness for use in curing meats - https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/mar/23/nitrites-ham-bacon-cancer-risk-additives-meat-industry-confidential--report

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options

I also use Butcher & Packer. I'm not sure where they source their salts, and I don't think it matters. It's all the same as it's made under pretty strict regulation. Just be sure you're using the appropriate product as it's all pink. Using #2 in place of #1, or vice a versa, would be a disastrous mistake that would make you very ill.

Just finished breakfast with fresh bacon I made this week. It was, as always, amazing. So much better than store bought, even the premium stuff.

The only thing I would change about that recipe would be the duration. I cure mine for a week as that's what the book I bought suggested. I also, use a method called the EQ, or equilibrium curing, because that's what @Sea2Ski said works best as the dry, or salt box, method makes it too salty. You can search the EQ method quite easily, as it's too long for a blog post.

Sorry I rambled. Good luck and enjoy!!

LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options

Thanks @Sea2Ski - just gonna make a first attempt at bacon. Ordered some cure 1 from amazon last night - I have no experience with this, but that is what most of the recipes I found called for.

And thanks @dharley. I looked up Equilibrium curing. I will be using this. It makes sense, since I will never know the exact size pork belly I will get and this adjusts everything accordingly.

Memphis, TN