Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half a cowpig

billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,528
Looking for anyone who may have the resources available to them and would like another individual to purchase a half a cow/pig with them.

Always wanted to do this, but I don't know where to go..

I'm in ATL, home to the best airport around....
Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm not so sure a half cow, half pig is real....but, manbearpig is :lol:

https://youtu.be/0AW4nSq0hAc
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    Which half?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Manbearcave has three halfs.
    Manbearcave has three halfs.After my dad died we had to clean out the house - 30 years worth of "stuff" to get rid of!  I pity your heirs.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Do you have farms anywhere near you or reasonably near you? If so, talk to one. Any one. If you are in the city, go for a ride to the county one Saturday.  Find a farm, pull in the driveway and find someone to talk to. Be straight and honest and tell them what you are looking to do, but have never done it before. If the person does not want to deal with you they will quickly let you know. If they do, they will be eager to start talking to you or point you in a direction.  Like any other industry, everyone in it knows everyone else close by well enough to know who does or does not do what you are looking for. 

No idea where a farm is to go to? Look up slaughterhouses near you and they may be able to connect you with someone.

My piece of advice is, if at all possible, see the farm that your animal is going to come from and go visit it. Talk to the farmer. Good guys will be proud of their product, explain things to you, and walk you through the process because smart ones will realize they may be gaining a long time returning customer.  Not happy with what you see, hear or are being told? Move on.  

Up to about 4 years ago, I had no idea you could do this. Now I could take you to several each of beef, pork, chicken or turkey farms which specialize in a specific breed of animal. It may take you a bit to find your first one, but then it does not take long.  Beef farms do not compete much with pork, turkey, chicken or sheep, but they all know about each other. When you go to a beef farm ask for 2 or three pork farm names. When you get to the pork farm, ask for 2 or three beef farms etc....  also, some may be willing to sell you as little as a quarter animal. You may have to wait a couple of weeks for smaller quantities, but those options are out there.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
      I am buying half a cow from a neighbor, I can't wait!  He raises 4h cows, I feed for him when he is out of town.  The one were going to butcher is so freaking cute, I tried to take swmbo over to show her but shes not having it.

I know that does not help but I am so excited, usually we get 1/3 from a farm I have never visited and I was never a part of the dividing of the meat.  But with my neighbors cow I get to select the cuts as well as the thickness of the steaks.

Most people will tell you that if you buy a portion of a cow you will end up with cheap steaks and expensive hamburger, but if you can get the butcher to cut thicker steaks and not grind everything a egghead would use into burger your ahead of the game.

If I were in your shoes I would follow @Sea2Ski advice and call a local respected butcher, they should be able to point you in the direction of a farmer.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    Or you and a friend schedule a date with the butcher, go to a livestock auction and bring him a cow.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Will they let you get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    there was a farm near me were the farmer brought in a half dozen people that bought a half cow each and he supervised as you cut your own cuts.  you butchered  on a saturday he had available and could book. he supplied everything but the coolers and ice. i would look for a place like that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it