Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best things @ Trader Joe’s according to chefs

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Nice list - figured I would share . . 

Best things to buy at Trader Joe's, according to chefs - Business Insider

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-things-to-buy-at-trader-joes-2019-3
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    not to mention: 
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I like the "Everything But the Bagel" seasoning tho I wish it wasn't quite so salty. Haven't tried any of the others.
    However, come April 28th I'll rarely go back to Trader Joe's because that is opening day for the new Wegman's in my hood. Woot!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Good list- thanks for sharing.  I have tried the potstickers and they are good. I have aalo tried several of their frozen meals and sides.  We always get some mac and cheese for ththre kids.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    It's nice to know I can get Smoked Paprika there.  I usually get it from Penzeys.
    I have to say, I'm convinced "business insider" is not inside info at all.  I think it is all paid advertisement articles by the companies mentioned.  Every article is littered with ads, click throughs, and links to other "articles" all over the place.
    Not that there isn't some interesting info in there, but I don't think "chefs" made the list.  It was more likely a chef a Trader Joes...  =)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • NDG
    Options
    @KiterTodd probably influenced by some adversiting $$ . . but thought provoking enough to share.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2019
    Options
    NDG said:
    @KiterTodd probably influenced by some adversiting $$ . . but thought provoking enough to share.
    Yup...but I'd say 100% paid influence or just rehashing old existing lists.  I see a lot of intriguing titles come up on my Facebook feed, a lot of them are Business Insider, and they're never "insider".  But yeah, things to peek at as long as you know where it's coming from.
    If you click through some more of their articles (I don't recommend it) you'll quickly see the pattern.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I like the "Everything But the Bagel" seasoning tho I wish it wasn't quite so salty. 
    @HeavyG, same here. I posted this before, but here it is again. I found the ingredients list online. Mixed up some without salt and frankly, I thought it was better than the TJ's bottle. I did have to buy poppy and black sesame seeds, but I had the rest. Indian market, THE place to go for spices! Which figures since I think 70% of the world's spices come from India. Or some such number!

Recipe (scroll WAY down)... https://www.asweetpeachef.com/everything-bagel-seasoning/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I like the "Everything But the Bagel" seasoning tho I wish it wasn't quite so salty. 
    @HeavyG, same here. I posted this before, but here it is again. I found the ingredients list online. Mixed up some without salt and frankly, I thought it was better than the TJ's bottle. I did have to buy poppy and black sesame seeds, but I had the rest. Indian market, THE place to go for spices! Which figures since I think 70% of the world's spices come from India. Or some such number!

Recipe (scroll WAY down)... https://www.asweetpeachef.com/everything-bagel-seasoning/
    Thanks! I'll have to make a batch. I've already got everything except the dried onion flakes.
    Looking at the nutrient info tho that recipe has as much sodium as the Trader Joe version. I think that what annoys me about the TJ stuff is biting into the occasional large dense salt crystal. I'll use some Maldens flake salt and maybe that won't trigger me so much. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2019
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Thanks! I'll have to make a batch. I've already got everything except the dried onion flakes.
    Looking at the nutrient info tho that recipe has as much sodium as the Trader Joe version. I think that what annoys me about the TJ stuff is biting into the occasional large dense salt crystal. I'll use some Maldens flake salt and maybe that won't trigger me so much. :)
    My point was, just leave out some or all of the salt. I left out ALL of it

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    I agree w/ @KiterTodd although when they asked me to either turn off my adblocker or pay them money I said "no thanks".

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    It's nice to know I can get Smoked Paprika there.  I usually get it from Penzeys.
    I have to say, I'm convinced "business insider" is not inside info at all.  I think it is all paid advertisement articles by the companies mentioned.  Every article is littered with ads, click throughs, and links to other "articles" all over the place.
    Not that there isn't some interesting info in there, but I don't think "chefs" made the list.  It was more likely a chef a Trader Joes...  =)
    FWIW cold smoking your own Paprika ( and other spices) I know it's hard to find sometimes so I started doing my own
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    one "CHEF" chose prepared frozen foods =) im not eating at his restaurant
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I buy a bagel seasoning mix at the dollar store that's similar except it's...ONE DOLLAR.  Mix half the bottle into some no-knead bread and it works magic.
    Options
    I think I have been in the one in our city maybe 2-3 times. It is not convenient to where i live. Maybe next time i am in the area....will give it another look. Might be about all though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

My point was, just leave out some or all of the salt. I left out ALL of it
    Yeah, I get that.
    I was just a little surprised that that website which says this:
    "Eating clean doesn’t mean giving up on your favorite flavors! Make everything taste like your favorite bagel by making a healthier, homemade version of the (Better than!) Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning!"
    Would then create a recipe where the sodium level was almost identical to the item it is mimicking.
    Again, thanks for the link.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    But Some “Simpler Times” beer.   Good and $2.99 for a sixer.    Good for those who drink in volume or drink for the express purpose of hitting LEO.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I'm not sold that these clowns are actual chefs. More like "Applebee's chefs". I only know two chefs personally. Neither of them would buy frozen meals or pre-made, anything. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We love these in my house.  Really good!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Those are legit good.  I am ramping up to delve into the world of dim sum cooking.
    Options

I love dumplings....but love a good dipping sauce to go with them. Do you make or purchase a nice dipping sauce for them? 

• nolaegghead
    Options

I love dumplings....but love a good dipping sauce to go with them. Do you make or purchase a nice dipping sauce for them? 
    A decent sauce from TJ's is:

Image result for trader joes asian dipping sauce

General purpose dipping sauces can easily be made in seconds at home using a combination of soy sauce and rice vinegar, commonly added are sesame oil and some kind of pepper.  You can mix it up by changing the soy and vinegar -- the diversity in those products are immense.  Or add spiced oils like garlic, chive, etc.

There are many other asian dipping sauces, many for special purposes.  One example is peanut sauce which is usually served with Vietnamese spring rolls.

Options
    you don't *need* a recipe to make dipping sauces.  Just start out with the ingredients you think will work well for your application.  Start making a small batch where you can easily change the proportions and f*ck around with it until you like the taste.
    Options
    you don't *need* a recipe to make dipping sauces.  Just start out with the ingredients you think will work well for your application.  Start making a small batch where you can easily change the proportions and f*ck around with it until you like the taste.
    Thank you sir. The above info is all I need to get started. 

• NDG
    Options
    Enjoying this 
    Columbus, OH