Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thought I bought Corned brisket, But . .

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Thought I bought Corned brisket, but I see now it’s Corned Beef Round.  My mom has amazing recipe (attached) for cooking this, wondering if I need to adjust the braise time much?  In other words . . how does cooking a beef round compare to brisket?  Should I just smoke the thang instead?
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I almost bought that same brand in a point earlier. Decided to eat steaks instead

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I did the same thing one time.  After cooking it went in the trash.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Curious as why, I would imagine the flavor was the same....texture? We cook our corned beef to shred vs slice I imagine that would be tougher with a round 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    lkapigian said:
    Curious as why, I would imagine the flavor was the same....texture? We cook our corned beef to shred vs slice I imagine that would be tougher with a round 
    Both the flavor and texture were off.  The texture the worst part.  It was not corned beef, and definitely not pastrami.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NDG
    Well this sounds promising . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Pressure Cooker?  

Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Pressure Cooked - pics suck, but it was delicious.  Tender cut then glazed & back in oven to set.  Fork Shred, I’ll do again.  
    Columbus, OH

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    lkapigian said:
    Both the flavor and texture were off.  The texture the worst part.  It was not corned beef, and definitely not pastrami.
    Corned round is a perfectly fine product.  Tends to be used more for slicing for sandwiches from the deli than for serving on a dinner plate.  I would be more concerned about a product that states it is "uncured" when it is pretending to be a product that by definition is a cured product.  Marketing deception that I don't like to support. I prefer to deal with companies that are more straight forward.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    my thoughts its cured in salt only "grey corned beef"  with the odd uncured logo on it.  most butchers near me use kosher salt only, no red curing salts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Actually its one of the "no nitrates or nitrites added" products.  They don't use pure nitrates or nitrites but add nitrites or nitrates found in other ingredients.  This one uses beets.  They use the fine print to hide what they are doing.  Makes those who are concerned about nitrates/nitrites think the product is ok.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Celery extract or beet powder are natural sources of nitrite.  The "uncured" label is a complete lie...there is a loophole in the FDA labeling laws that let them call it uncured but the amount of nitrite is the same, they just get it through a "natural" source.   

Nitrite is nitrite, the chemical is no different regardless of the source.
    Corned beef is technically salted.   It is almost always also nitrite cured.  It will taste like salty roast beef if it is only corned (corned name derived from kernels of salt).

Pastrami is smoked corned, cured beef with a rub typically made from pepper and coriander (no salt in rub, obviously)
    edited March 2019
    Corned beef is technically salted.   It is almost always also nitrite cured.  It will taste like salty roast beef if it is only corned (corned name derived from kernels of salt).

Pastrami is smoked corned, cured beef with a rub typically made from pepper and coriander (no salt in rub, obviously)
    i disagree with the salt only corned beef tasting only like salty beef, its pretty similar in taste to the red crap.  it would be like saying proscuitto just tastes like salty pork. the butcher i get my grey corned beef goes straight salt herbs and spice for 2 weeks, no brine but it does get wet over time.

no idea what celery or beet root cured beef or pork tastes like =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

i disagree with the salt only corned beef tasting only like salty beef, its pretty similar in taste to the red crap.  it would be like saying proscuitto just tastes like salty pork. the butcher i get my grey corned beef goes straight salt herbs and spice for 2 weeks, no brine but it does get wet over time.

Prosciutto is *not* cooked.... There are no nitrites but it's hard to compare to any other pork because we usually cook it. 

Prosciutto is salted and aged, and undergoes, with time, autolysis where the cells are broken down with natural enzymes over time as it ages.  Hence prosciutto has a soft tender texture and looks and tastes differently than just about anything.  Same deal with aged country ham.

Prosciutto is *not* cooked.... There are no nitrites but it's hard to compare to any other pork because we usually cook it. 

Prosciutto is salted and aged, and undergoes, with time, autolysis where the cells are broken down with natural enzymes over time as it ages.  Hence prosciutto has a soft tender texture and looks and tastes differently than just about anything.  Same deal with aged country ham.
    youve never tried cured raw bacon?  anyways, grey salt cured corned beef is more tender and less salty tasting than the red cured stuff that needs a water change during the first hour of boiling. i never even seen red corned beef til college =)  red is better for pastrami, grey is better in a boiled dinner.  we also do red cured pork shoulder up here boiled for the sunday dinners
    fukahwee maine