Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen storage

For you folks that built an outdoor kitchen, where did you get your stainless storage cabinets from?
Is $600+ the norm for these or am I looking in the wrong places?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    edited March 2019
    I would suggest getting door and not drawers outside. Then use Tupperware to store utensils. Otherwise mold can become a problem (at lease in my humid hometown)

I have bull doors. They weren't cheap but have stood up great over the last 4-5 years.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2019
    High quality grade stainless that won't rust when left fully exposed to the elements isn't cheap. Like all things you get what you pay for. My advice would be to find a local outdoor kitchen retailer that sells well known brands (Alfresco, Lynx, DCS etc) and try and get a discount, especially if you need multiple items. 

I purchased all my stainless from http://www.embersstore.com in Nashville. Soooo glad I did.  They'll sit down with you for hours and give a lot of advice & recommendations that I never would have known about had I tried to just buy my stuff blindly from BBQ Guys. They also will do all the CAD work for free to make sure everything you need will fit perfectly in your space before you make a purchase. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Remember all stainless is not the same. Get 304 at a minimum unless you live in the desert. 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Yup, ordered ours from bbqguys.com late last year, they seemed to be the least expensive.  The cabinets and drawers seem well made (other than some missing screws for handles, but vendor resolved pretty quickly).  We have 4 pieces from the Kingston series.  

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    quick test - put a magnet on whatever stainless steel appliance you are going to buy.  Non-magnetic alloys are austenitic, which have more chromium and/or nickle in them and are better at resisting corrosion.

All stainless steels can still rust. especially if they are scratched or if they are exposed to strong oxidizers.  Prague powder will do a number on just about any material, cleanup after curing is the cure for oxidation.
    edited March 2019

All stainless steels can still rust. especially if they are scratched or if they are exposed to strong oxidizers.  

My builder used Muratic Acid to clean the grout AFTER he installed all my stainless. I would have murdered him outright had I not been frantically dousing every square inch in baking soda.  Also wasn't sure where to stash his body.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SonVolt said:

All stainless steels can still rust. especially if they are scratched or if they are exposed to strong oxidizers.  

My builder used Muratic Acid to clean the grout AFTER he installed all my stainless. I would have murdered him outright had I not been frantically dousing every square inch in baking soda.  Also wasn't sure where to stash his body.
    That new culvert would be a good place. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SonVolt said:

Stash it?  Just buy more acid.

Sulfuric - dissolves tissues
    Hydrochloric - dissolves bone

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I’m doubling up on this suggestion. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    My cabinetry is brick so I had my buddy build cypress boxes and doors as “inserts”. Completely covered so they aren’t exposed to the weather constantly. He put a good coat of poly on em, no issues yet.