Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin - Reverse Seer - How Long to Cook?

Options
I've got a 5.7 lb trimmed beef tenderloin for tonight.  I'm going to throw in a few cherry chunks and cook it indirect at 275 degrees until it reaches an internal temp of about 128.  Then, the plan is to put it in foil for 10 min, remove the platesetter, bring the temp up to 600 and sear for 1-2 minutes per side.  Objective is medium rare.  How long do I cook it at 275?

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I think you answered that; until an IT of 128*. The time will depend on several factors. Starting temp and diameter of the tenderloin being the biggest. Hope that helps.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Don’t foil it    It will continue to cook and you will overshoot your preferred IT.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Further to Mats advice above, I do tent, not wrap during the rest while the egg goes nuclear for the sear. Let the meat rest on a rack to avoid sucking the juices out. The key for the low temp cook is the thickness of the meat not the weight. Usually, from a cool start and a 2” to 3” tenderloin, time varies from 40 to 50 minutes, my MBGE like to run at just under 250º. Each cut is different, which is why SV has become the preferred method, no chance of an overshoot. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!