Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Fish keeping

Options
CtTOPGUN
CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
 Anyone here that can recommend a good freshwater fish keeping forum? Tropical or cooler water both intrigue me. I got hooked into the hobby with a Beta tank and now can't get enough info fast enough. Been watching Youtube vids for weeks. Wanting to start a couple planted tanks soon.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Great Hobby! I've had fish since I was 15. I've had some of everything. Mainly Koi now but seriously considering getting back in to African Chiclids.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    Monsterfishkeepers.com is good. It's geared towards larger tanks/fish but the community is always open to helping fish keepers in general. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have a goldfish my son won at the state fair three years ago. Still kicking, it went from a tiny little thing to over 4" now. It's about to get a bigger home. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I’m a novice myself, but @Jeremiah would be a great resource. I’ve been tinkering with freshwater community fish for a coupla years. Tetras and Cory Cats are great hardy starters to get the good bacteria in cycle. 
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    I’m a novice myself, but @Jeremiah would be a great resource. I’ve been tinkering with freshwater community fish for a coupla years. Tetras and Cory Cats are great hardy starters to get the good bacteria in cycle. 
    Big fan of those as well as the Clown Loach  and Angel fish 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Not much help here. We had a saltwater tank for a couple years. Too much hassle for the reward IMO. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Careful it can get out of control fast. 200 gallons later I figure this out. 

Terrible pic but you get the idea.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Not much help either, gave up long time ago!  One technique I remember ... when changing water use Thermapen to eliminate temperature shock.
    canuckland
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    When I was into the hobby there really wasn’t any Internet forums so all my research was through books an other hobbiests. I had both fresh and salt water tanks. Make sure you are careful when choosing fish to make sure they are compatible with each other and plantings. Different fish require different acidity in the water, and temperatures.
    My favorite were the African cichlids. They come in many colours and sizes and are great to watch. Oscars and large cichlids can be entertaining especially if you like a good fight every now and then. Education is key when looking after fish!
    One word of advice is to keep a small tank to bring new fish into or treat sick fish in. I introduced a new blue tang into a salt tank....it had some disease that killed off several live coral and all the other fish that I had had for years...$$$$
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I have a 10 tanks for tetra and shrimp. I’ve really enjoyed the shrimp a lot. Started with 5 red cherry in July and they’ve expanded to probably 60-70 now. They are always busy so it makes for a fun tanks to watch. Trying to figure out how to tame down the population. I introduced an apistogramma but all my shrimp went in hiding so I returned him 😂 
    Dunedin, FL
  • frazzdaddy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My Koi pond. 10x15x5. 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    ^^^^^like^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • frazzdaddy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This Asagi was 3 inches long when I got him . 25" now.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    My fish keeping consists of feeders for my turtles, I do transfer some to barrel ponds ...i have some 8 years old, never feed them and they just keep going on algae and larve 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • frazzdaddy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @ikapigian , love my tutles. These two little guys will go in the Koi pond when it warms up.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @ikapigian , love my tutles. These two little guys will go in the Koi pond when it warms up.
    Nice @frazzdaddy....they actually are cool pets 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • frazzdaddy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @ikapigian They are...dug my first backyard turtle pond at 8.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    We cant keep Koi in our pond....they become expensive feed for the Blue Herons we have visit. Expensive bird food. 
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    We cant keep Koi in our pond....they become expensive feed for the Blue Herons we have visit. Expensive bird food. 
    run some black"Spider Wire" fishing line at 6 foot gaps above your pond. That will keep them out.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.