Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uyghur Lamb Skewers

Options
zahulio
zahulio Posts: 135
I liked this lamb recipe (from halalpitmaster.com). It's nice and spicy...the kind of spice that leaves a tingling sensation on the tongue. Reminds me of Szechuan dishes at authentic Chinese restaurants.

The only difficult ingredient was Szechuan powder, which isn't widely available in stores. I ended up making my own by toasting Szechuan peppercorns and then grinding them.

Grilled direct heat - at about 450 degrees - on my XL BGE for about 4 minutes per side.

20190224_1629502jpg

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I need some of that.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    That looks awesome.  I think lamb really works well in these kind of recipes.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    That looks awesome.  I think lamb really works well in these kind of recipes.  
    Thanks! I agree.  Lamb fat has a nice flavor  distinct from beef. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I’ve been wanting to do some lamb for a while now that looks great!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice!!

Szechuan pepper adds a unique note for sure.

There are 2 Uyghur restaurants in Houston that we like to go to every once in a while, and they seem to be fond of cumin and lamb. Which is just fine with us :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow -- looks and sounds fantastic!

I'm not completely sure why, but somehow I haven't been doing much grilling or smoking for a long while, and it's probably going to be a while before I do, but I have saved this recipe, and definitely look forward to trying it.  Thanks for posting!