Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: SUV Cargo Options

Heyo!

We have a 2005 grand Cherokee that we want to add additional cargo space to, I’m strongly considering the following options and was wondering if anyone out in ‘que land had any insight to provide:

1.OEM trailer hitch: I decided on OEM because the other hitches hang much lower and I don’t want to give up any ground clearance. Installing the OEM hitch requires cutting into the bumper then installing a bezel for the best look, initially I think I will skip the wiring because I don’t have any plans of attaching a trailer.

2.Trailer hitch accessories: I’m thinking I’ll start with both a cargo rack and a bike rack. I would use the cargo rack for bins/coolers in situations where I wasn’t carrying bikes, it seems like this is a popular option these days, anyone have one? As far as the bike rack goes, I’d initially need to carry 2 adult bikes and a strider but I could put the strider inside the car, if all goes to plan, we would eventually need to carry 4 bikes. The only downside I’m seeing with this trailer hitch setup is that I cannot use both accessories at the same time.

3. Cargo roof box: I would want this to hold skis/snowboards, golf clubs, camping gear, and just general cargo overflow. I was initially considering a safari type cargo rack but I would have to spend more time/money on protecting gear from flying off in the wind or getting soaked in the rain.

Open to any thoughts/suggestions. I’m not wed to any specific brand and will likely try to find this stuff used where possible.

Thanks in advance!

Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    I've had one of these for 10+ years.  I can't tell you how many bags of charcoal have ridden on it (had it before I ever bought a trailer, warehouse, box truck, etc.)  Easily 100's, maybe 1000's.  It's sat outside and is still in great shape.  Highly recommended!!

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lbs-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-60771.html

Haul-Master 60771 500 Lb Aluminum Cargo Carrier  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    CLASS III HITCHES   give way better protection from rear end collisions.  three cars totaled themselves hitting my tow hitch on my last truck, extremely little damage to my little dodge dakota. cant say much about the other stuff, i bought a small box trailer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    I use a storage pod from Yakima on one side of the roof, which will easily carry any of the equipment you had mentioned.

On the otherside of the roof, I have mounted a body recovery basket used by SAR. (Actually bought it from the Colorado Rocky Mountain SAR surplus auction). We have found this to be tremendously useful (32"W X 84"L X 8" D). Obviously these baskets were not built for comfort (The newer models are dual purpose, rescue and recovery).

We also have a hitch rack we use as well.

The storage pod is excellent, and I strongly recommend if you purchase one, you get one that will open from either side.

We do a lot of traveling, camping, backpacking and events. My Beautiful Wife only Glamps, therefore when she goes, we take a lot of stuff.
    My dog has to go wherever I go. That is Rose.

Here is the image of both on top of the roof. You will have to blow it up to get a visual of the body recovery rack.

If I can be of further help, let me know.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • What is a body recovery basket?!?! A quick google didn't provide anything satisfactory. 
  • I've had one of these for 10+ years.  I can't tell you how many bags of charcoal have ridden on it (had it before I ever bought a trailer, warehouse, box truck, etc.)  Easily 100's, maybe 1000's.  It's sat outside and is still in great shape.  Highly recommended!!

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lbs-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-60771.html

Man I'm gonna go this weekend and pick one of these up. I have the same kinda thing but its solid steel and that d@mn thing weighs probably 80-100lbs. Looks like this one weighs 30.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    Yep!  About 30# and no rust!

Make sure you take a 20% off coupon
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,657
    I've had one of these for 10+ years.  I can't tell you how many bags of charcoal have ridden on it (had it before I ever bought a trailer, warehouse, box truck, etc.)  Easily 100's, maybe 1000's.  It's sat outside and is still in great shape.  Highly recommended!!

Dang it!!!! Item number 307 I didn’t know I needed till I started reading this site.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Thule T2 Pro for a bike rack if you want to eventually expand to 4 (it’s heavy and big with the additional 2 bike racks so I’ve only had it setup that way for road trips with friends where we shuttle).  I’ve had the previous version of the T2 for over 6 years now and it still looks brand new, the first few years it was left on my car a lot parked at the beach in salt air.

Very sturdy and easy to put on and remove, mine is stored right next to my car in the garage and takes up little space. 

Here is mine setup for 4 bikes to see how long it is (and folded up it goes high up as well).  If going used you should be able to find a deal on the older version or maybe even the newer pro, they are very popular.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Not a lot to add to what the folks said above......but I did install a class III hitch receiver (after market) on a recently purchased vehicle. This was the secound one I have installed so I had prior expierence.  There will not be a third.....someone else will do it for me next time.

......got to check out @stlcharcoal link.....I have one of the f’n heavy ones myself. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    YukonRon said:
    I use a storage pod from Yakima on one side of the roof, which will easily carry any of the equipment you had mentioned.

On the otherside of the roof, I have mounted a body recovery basket used by SAR. (Actually bought it from the Colorado Rocky Mountain SAR surplus auction). We have found this to be tremendously useful (32"W X 84"L X 8" D). Obviously these baskets were not built for comfort (The newer models are dual purpose, rescue and recovery).

We also have a hitch rack we use as well.

The storage pod is excellent, and I strongly recommend if you purchase one, you get one that will open from either side.

We do a lot of traveling, camping, backpacking and events. My Beautiful Wife only Glamps, therefore when she goes, we take a lot of stuff.
    My dog has to go wherever I go. That is Rose.

Here is the image of both on top of the roof. You will have to blow it up to get a visual of the body recovery rack.

If I can be of further help, let me know.
    That is Rose’s truck....you are just the driver.

• Not a lot to add to what the folks said above......but I did install a class III hitch receiver (after market) on a recently purchased vehicle. This was the secound one I have installed so I had prior expierence.  There will not be a third.....someone else will do it for me next time.

......got to check out @stlcharcoal link.....I have one of the f’n heavy ones myself. 

PITA? I figured it would be easy but I know those are famous last words with anything car related...
  • northGAcock
    Not a lot to add to what the folks said above......but I did install a class III hitch receiver (after market) on a recently purchased vehicle. This was the secound one I have installed so I had prior expierence.  There will not be a third.....someone else will do it for me next time.

PITA? I figured it would be easy but I know those are famous last words with anything car related...
    ....to put it mildly. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,012
    With the roof boxes or baskets, weight limit depends on the rack supporting it, so bigger box doesn’t mean you can carry more weight. We bought a Thule box on clearance at an REI that was closing here in Austin and paid $300 for a $700 box.  We had been looking at Craig’s list and just missed a couple of great deals, but we had planned to buy used, they come up frequently on CL and the good ones go quickly, the crap doesn’t.  Between Thule and Yakima, shape and size options seem to be the biggest differences.

For bike rack, we’re only occasional riders, so I didn’t want to spend a ton.  I ended up getting a sport rider se4 rack from hollywoodracks.com that can convert from 2 to 4, so you don’t need the whole thing if only carrying 2 bikes.  It is definitely heavy, but it’s solid and at $400 on Amazon for a convertible bike rack that supports bikes from the bottom, folds up, tilts to let you open rear gate and tightens in a way that eliminates wobble, it ended up being a great deal.

Not a felon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,054
    I had a Yakima for many, many years until the Lid blew off going 80+ down a TX freeway.  

Replaced it with one like this from REI.  The newer models are so much easier to put on and take off.  We use it all the time for extra space.

(on a Subaru Outback)

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    What is a body recovery basket?!?! A quick google didn't provide anything satisfactory. 
    It is what is used by search and rescue, attached to helecopter landing gear or retractable cable to lift and remove the deceased from extremely remote and difficult places, due to hiking/climbing  accidents or other tragedies, of which there are many.This picture was taken during a summit of Long's Peak, of an unfortunate accident of a fallen climber.
    The basket is at the bottom of the cable from the SAR helicopter.
    Long's Peak is one of the most summited peaks within the United States. It is also one of the most deadly due to the numbers that attempt the climb.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    They are also called “basket stretchers”, if that helps.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a large hitch cargo carrier for vacations with the family. It is okay, but kind of a PITA. Obviously when loaded up it blocks access to the rear lift gate. It is not bad if you can remove it when you get to your destination, but I recall a couple of vacations where we didn't have a place for it and it was just in the way the entire trip. This is one time I would have preferred a rooftop box that is up and out of the way. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

YukonRon said:
    What is a body recovery basket?!?! A quick google didn't provide anything satisfactory. 
    It is what is used by search and rescue, attached to helecopter landing gear or retractable cable to lift and remove the deceased from extremely remote and difficult places, due to hiking/climbing  accidents or other tragedies, of which there are many.This picture was taken during a summit of Long's Peak, of an unfortunate accident of a fallen climber.
    The basket is at the bottom of the cable from the SAR helicopter.
    Long's Peak is one of the most summited peaks within the United States. It is also one of the most deadly due to the numbers that attempt the climb.
    ...and if you want to add a bag to keep your stuff dry I think they make those as well. 

Karate Kid Body Bag GIF - KarateKid BodyBag TheKarateKid GIFs

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,131
    I started with a Cargo Bag on the roof- one good Texas Rainstorm and never again.

We have a Yakima Space Cadet Cargo Box- its fine, I wish I had a narrower one so I could put a bike up also.  I like the idea of the hitch cargo rack especially with coolers and such but never tried one as most of the stuff I put in the cargo box would be water sensitive. 

This is my Second Cargo Box.  My BIL somehow broke my first one (go figure) so they bought us this one.  The thing that bothers me about this cargo box is that the mounting hardware has no "memory" of the roof rack so I have to fully open and close them every time.  
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    ive seen receiver setups mounted to the front bumper before with cargo and bike mounts on the front, would make the access to the back easier. not sure how legal that is state to state but i would hate to lose the back hatch accesss
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Hey, if you want to see one in person, I have a Thule Ascent 1100 you can borrow/try. I bought it for hauling my snowboard and accoutrements for Ski Patrol. It just needs cross beams on your roof rack to attach to; any type.
  • Cornholio
    ive seen receiver setups mounted to the front bumper before with cargo and bike mounts on the front, would make the access to the back easier. not sure how legal that is state to state but i would hate to lose the back hatch accesss
    Better cover those bikes etc. because there’s going to be crap flying into them like bugs, rocks and road debris.  I have seen that before but on shuttle vans for shorter hauls and city buses.  Even if the bikes are cheap I wouldn’t want all those bug guts on them from longer trips.  Putting an $8k bike out front on a rack, no way.

The Thule I have (as well as the new one) can be dropped down to give the back of your car room to open.  Other brands offer similar functions, some even swing out for rear access.   Luckily I drive a 4 Runner with a roll down rear window for even easier access with no need to drop the rack down unless I need the whole rear hatch opened.
  • fishlessman
    Cornholio said:
    Better cover those bikes etc. because there’s going to be crap flying into them like bugs, rocks and road debris.  I have seen that before but on shuttle vans for shorter hauls and city buses.  Even if the bikes are cheap I wouldn’t want all those bug guts on them from longer trips.  Putting an $8k bike out front on a rack, no way.

The Thule I have (as well as the new one) can be dropped down to give the back of your car room to open.  Other brands offer similar functions, some even swing out for rear access.   Luckily I drive a 4 Runner with a roll down rear window for even easier access with no need to drop the rack down unless I need the whole rear hatch opened.
    i wouldnt put an 8k bike outside the vehicle at all =)
    fukahwee maine

• Cornholio
    Cornholio said:

i wouldnt put an 8k bike outside the vehicle at all =)
    I don’t baby my bike that much!  I’d just rather get it dirty and scratched up at the bike park than the highway.  It’s fine on the back hitch rack, just can’t leave it out of sight for long even with locks.  

Regarding extra storage, I’ve thought about a hitch storage tray but then I wouldn’t be able to use it on trips with bikes so I’m looking for a roof system.  I like the setup Ron has with the box and basket, gonna keep my eye on Craigslist now.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    Image result for toyota 4runner trailer conversion
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    You'll see these everywhere in the Outer Banks to carry surf rods and bigass coolers. North Carolina only requires a license plate on the back bumper so no worries. My state, VA, requires front and rear plates but I haven't known anyone to be pulled over by Johnny Law when they had this sort of front mounted rig loaded up.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    You'll see these everywhere in the Outer Banks to carry surf rods and bigass coolers. North Carolina only requires a license plate on the back bumper so no worries. My state, VA, requires front and rear plates but I haven't known anyone to be pulled over by Johnny Law when they had this sort of front mounted rig loaded up.

i think its better in front being able to see if something isnt getting loose.  we still have a few beach dunes where you will see those after the bird nesting season, the protected plovers will nest right on the entrance ways
    fukahwee maine