Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket....never easy for me

Options
1WVU
1WVU Posts: 160
edited February 2019 in EggHead Forum
Having some friends over this evening and my wife wanted me to cook a brisket.  I’m still not comfortable enough with brisket to be confident enough to serve it to guests, but she talked me into it.  Prepped last night, got up at 4:30AM to fire up egg and put brisket on.  As I’m getting egg to temp I notice that my Flameboss is reading “low” for the pit temp. I open the egg and for some reason there are flames that have scorched the pit probe.  So now I need a new probe.  I left the egg open too long as I’m trying to figure out the probe issue and overshoot my target temp.  So now I’m going by dome temp, which is currently sitting at 295.  Is it too early to start drinking?  I’ll post pictures if it’s not a total failure. 
Roanoke, VA
Large BGE Owner

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    You’ve got this. 295 is a good cooking temp for brisket. It’s not too early to start drinking but it is too early to be drunk - if you care about the brisket results. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Local house rules-light the fire = time for an adult beverage; food on = time for an adult beverage and then as needed for the supervisory adult beverage monitor role.  Time of day independent.
    At 295 *F it should cook faster than you are used to (assuming you normally cook in the 240-270*F range on the calibrated dome); could end up at around 0.7-0.8 hrs/lb at that temp.  Don't know the size of the protein or plan to serve time but give yourself a couple of hour FTC if possible and then enjoy.  The key is to nail the feel in the thick part of the flat and then declare victory; temperature be da-ned.  The feel will likely happen in the low 200's*F although I have seen 'em go to around 208*F before releasing (getting loose).   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Just make sure that if you decide to try to bring the temp down you don't overdo it and choke the fire out.  If you leave it where it is now you'll be fine, if you start chasing a lower temp you'll be wrestling with it for the next couple hours and you will need to start drinking.
  • 1WVU
    Options
    Definitely not chasing.  I’ve been down that road before and learned my lesson many years ago.  If I’m within 20 degrees of my target temp I leave it alone. Brisket is a 15 lb packer (untrimmed).  Serving at 6 so will hopefully get some cooler time before serving.  One of the things I’m going to look for is a class/tutorial on trimming a brisket.  Im not comfortable at all with it right now and am just winging as I watch Aaron Franklin on YouTube.
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Square off the end of the flat dead perpendicular to the grain and you'll have your slicing guide built in. 

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    You got this, if anything the point will be awesome!!! If the flat doesn't taste good, chop it up and make some chili. Drink on, hang with the egg, and have a good time.
    O-Town, FL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    1WVU - PM sent with some brisket cook info.  May be of use (or not) for the next one.  Above all, enjoy the cook-the most fun cook you can have with the BGE. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    If your wife wanted you to do this for friends I’m thinking you’ve done pretty well with the Brisket cooks you’ve done in the past. Try to draw confidence from her confidence. No matter what, unless you totally turn it into a meteorite (which isn’t gonna happen), everyone there is going to appreciate your effort. I agree with @ewyllins you got this. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • 1WVU
    Options
    Just pulled.  Gonna let it rest then into the cooler

Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Bam!  Looks great.  No wonder your wife asked for it. Get us some sliced pics. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice recovery.  Time for a beverage.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    This is why I opt for low-tech cooking. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I cook briskets at 275, which bbq terms is 250-300. Your picture looks like you nailed it.  Make sure you let us know how amazing it is.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2