Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - redneck de-icing

Options
Obsessed with fire  =)

canuckland

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Yup, that will work.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Urban legend? Dunno. Used to hear about the snow storm in Chapel Hill NC. Not enough snow plows so someone came up with the brilliant idea of opening the fire hydrants to spray the snow off of the streets. Hard freeze that night. :rofl:

CH, not Durham. Maybe Dookies ARE smarter. Nah, can't be. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    @Carolina Q  haha, for the most part my driveway was clear, just that one shady area had stubborn ice patches, all gone now and there's no water to freeze overnight!
    canuckland
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Be careful getting too much of a fire going on concrete, pavers, or any other porous stone.  Get the water inside up to 212F and Boom!!  Not only is it going to destroy the stone or concrete, it will send that charcoal flying when it does.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Urban legend? Dunno. Used to hear about the snow storm in Chapel Hill NC. Not enough snow plows so someone came up with the brilliant idea of opening the fire hydrants to spray the snow off of the streets. Hard freeze that night. :rofl:

Must have been the idea of students in those ‘no show’ classes they used to offer in CH!!  =)=)=)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options

Friends used to go to the park the night of a hard freeze and turn on the water hoses at the basketball court. Next day they would have an ice rink to play hockey on for a while. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Can you please do my driveway also. I reckon you should bring 5 cords or so. 
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Looks like you will have some charcoal as a by product.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I would love to meet the people who all told you about this, because there is like zero record of anything close to this, anywhere.  Do said people all live inside your head?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Warm urine will do it too.  Stock up on your favorite beverage and get to work.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Used to hear about the snow storm in Chapel Hill NC. Not enough snow plows so someone came up with the brilliant idea of opening the fire hydrants to spray the snow off of the streets. Hard freeze that night. :rofl:
    I've heard, a couple times, of a similar incident on Hill AFB wherein the base commander directed all the F-16s to point their exhausts at the runway snow, to melt it off.  It supposedly didn't work well there either, but as JIC mentioned above, I can't find any "official" record (but, I have personal experience, on same base, of "official" truth being erased...)

EDIT:  ...and where I said "official truth", I meant "real truth".  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Canugghead
    Options
    Be careful getting too much of a fire going on concrete, pavers, or any other porous stone.  Get the water inside up to 212F and Boom!!  Not only is it going to destroy the stone or concrete, it will send that charcoal flying when it does.
    Agree, fortunately my small fires didn't do any visible harm.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Sammi said:
    Looks like you will have some charcoal as a by product.
    Indeed!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Can you please do my driveway also. I reckon you should bring 5 cords or so.  
    Not 5 cords but I have many boxes of these kiln dried furniture grade oak and maple, can't give you some for use as smoking wood if we meet at a future fest in ON.
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I would love to meet the people who all told you about this, because there is like zero record of anything close to this, anywhere.  Do said people all live inside your head?
    Hope you find the source. I don't care enough to research it "anywhere". I was in college in the 60s when I heard this story. Don't get all worked up about it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Hope you find the source. I don't care enough to research it "anywhere". I was in college in the 60s when I heard this story. Don't get all worked up about it.
    Ah.  That explains a lot.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike