Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Cold Smoke

Options
Is this thing worth the money or has anyone tried it?  Other methods besides the amaz n smoker or is that preferred?

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    What he ^^^ said. 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    A-Maze-N pellet tray
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Built one just like it, but it really puts out a LOT of smoke.  Too much for my egg.  Sold it to a local that had a 8’x8’ smokehouse, and he loves it.  
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I've come to like the A-MAZE-N smoker quite a lot, but before I got one I built my own from the Naked Whiz's plans here. Used that for several years and liked it, but the A-MAZE-N is much more convenient to use.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Get the Amazen it works great 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Im going to get the Amazn Smoker for next year... but here in CTX the window to cold smoke is so limited.  Right now I use a #5 Tomato can in the egg with Lump and Chips.

I clean out the egg and set the can on the base/ no grate.
    Put in PS WOO and use their triangle, to put full circle deflector and on top of that tray of ice
    Then the grate and then I what I first got for Vegetables on my Gasser that the cheese goes on.  It works.  I only do the process when its <40 outside.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    These types put out way to much smoke if you planned to do cheese. If it were bacon, then that's another option.  The small pellet trays are the better choice for cold smoked cheese.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I went a different way. Cheap and very functional.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Im going to get the Amazn Smoker for next year... but here in CTX the window to cold smoke is so limited.  Right now I use a #5 Tomato can in the egg with Lump and Chips.

Put in PS WOO and use their triangle, to put full circle deflector and on top of that tray of ice
    Then the grate and then I what I first got for Vegetables on my Gasser that the cheese goes on.  It works.  I only do the process when its <40 outside.
    anything under 100 is considered cold smoke. I do it all year
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

anything under 100 is considered cold smoke. I do it all year
    In the summer I find my egg starting point is at least 135, maybe i should consider a longer season though.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.