Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Onion Asiago Bread


LGE
CIA-81
Garner, North Carolina
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne

Comments

  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,380
    Details, please!  That sounds delicious!  
    _____________

    "I put spot remover on my dog and now he's gone" - Steven Wright


  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,648
    Oh My Lord, don't just post and leave us hanging =) Would like to know more about this 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

    Oh gosh yes

    I agree, details please! 


    Large BGE -- New Jersey

  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    lkapigian said:
    Oh My Lord, don't just post and leave us hanging =) Would like to know more about this 
    Yea -  drop that and no details? Come on.. that is rude.  

    But damn that does look fantastic!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

    Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538


    @G-squared
    I'm inspired. Going to try to make that tomorrow. Got two loaves started this morning. Plus my starter from @blind99
    happily growing away...


    Large BGE -- New Jersey

  • Sorry here are the particulars regarding this bread, recipe is from Peter Reinharts book-Bread Bakers Apprentice- This is a 3 day process:
    Day 1 Sponge
    Day 2 mix, shape and refrigerate
    Day 3 top with roasted onions and remaining Asiago and Bake

    His breads use less yeast and can be baked in a 3 day window which gives bread time to develop more flavor. 

    I can post recipe if you would like, this bread is amazing, if using egg I cook at 450 in oven I start at 500 and then lower to 450. If you make this bread you will not be sorry it is truly worth the effort and one that the BGE definitely does justice to. 
    LGE
    CIA-81
    Garner, North Carolina
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,160
    G-squared said:
    Sorry here are the particulars regarding this bread, recipe is from Peter Reinharts book-Bread Bakers Apprentice- This is a 3 day process:
    Day 1 Sponge
    Day 2 mix, shape and refrigerate
    Day 3 top with roasted onions and remaining Asiago and Bake

    His breads use less yeast and can be baked in a 3 day window which gives bread time to develop more flavor. 

    I can post recipe if you would like, this bread is amazing, if using egg I cook at 450 in oven I start at 500 and then lower to 450. If you make this bread you will not be sorry it is truly worth the effort and one that the BGE definitely does justice to. 
    Please post the recipient....or PM if you prefer.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

    Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,287
    G-squared said:
    Sorry here are the particulars regarding this bread, recipe is from Peter Reinharts book-Bread Bakers Apprentice- This is a 3 day process:
    Day 1 Sponge
    Day 2 mix, shape and refrigerate
    Day 3 top with roasted onions and remaining Asiago and Bake

    His breads use less yeast and can be baked in a 3 day window which gives bread time to develop more flavor. 

    I can post recipe if you would like, this bread is amazing, if using egg I cook at 450 in oven I start at 500 and then lower to 450. If you make this bread you will not be sorry it is truly worth the effort and one that the BGE definitely does justice to. 
    Please post the recipient....or PM if you prefer.
    The Epicurious site has it up:

    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk




  • I’d like to see a picture of a slice...looks like it would make an awesome sandwich 
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

    @G-squared
    Thank you for the inspiration and recipe! I couldn't wait. I just made something up. Roasted a bunch of diced onions in the cast iron. Shredded up a handful of asiago. Threw in a couple of chopped up pieces of bacon, because... why not? No measurements. 

    Did a bulk rise for almost 24 hours on the counter. One loaf of plain sourdough, and one with the fixings...

    Now proofing in my new oven, which has a "proofing" setting, which I don't really understand yet, but why not? 

    I'll bake later this morning...


    Large BGE -- New Jersey

  • Love the bacon idea, this is a great bread, my wife gives it the "O" rating. Let me know how yours turns out.

    LGE
    CIA-81
    Garner, North Carolina
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    G-squared said:
    Love the bacon idea, this is a great bread, my wife gives it the "O" rating. Let me know how yours turns out.

    Oh wow. Thank you for the inspiration! This turned out amazing, best flavored loaf I've made yet...



    I need to work on my shaping skills, to keep the dough ball from flattening out, but @blind99 sent me a YouTube video with tips, so I will work on that next round...


    Large BGE -- New Jersey