Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket and souvee help

Got a fancy cooker for christmas... plan on cooking for 12 -14 hrs in the contraption this evening before I place on the egg tomorrow to try and get the bark.

Suggestions on temp?

Comments

• Get the Anova or Joule app. You can search different meals you’ll be preparing and recipes will include time and temps. Many of them are very scalable. 
  • jtcBoyntonjtcBoynton Posts: 2,322
    I would suggest 155°F for at least 24 hours.  Not sure what to do for only a 12 hour bath.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• njlnjl Posts: 1,005
    I agree...12-14h seems like way short for a sous vide cooking time for beef that needs slow cooking.  145F for 2 days might be interesting.  Of course, as soon as I said that, I thought "Kenji probably has a page on this":
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html
  • FWIW - I have done two sous vide cooks of prime brisket. Both were @155F.

One was for 30 hours the other was for 33 hours. I finished them on my egg. I used liquid apple smoke.

While they were both good (juicy and tender) they were more roast like then brisket like.

I get much better results on my egg. 
  • DuckDogDrDuckDogDr Posts: 887
    I had planned on finishing the brisket on the egg. Do yall do this with direct or indirect cooking 
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 18,118
    Indirect.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 18,753
    edited February 11
    I throw mine in an ice bath (right out of the SV still in the bag) until super cold then throw a little more rub on and smoke indirect until the bark sets. 

"I believe that life is based on belief-systems. The Way I see it, folks just need to have something that they can really believe in."

"I believe I’ll have another beer."

- Hondo Crouch