Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

30lb Royal Oak @Walmart for $16.96

As stated. Found 30lb bag of Royal Oak for $18 That's a steal for a decent quality of lump.
Dallas Texas.
2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's

Comments

• tybenjtybenj Posts: 58
    I already have 3 bags sitting in my garage. Did your store also have their XL lump? I might have to grab a bag of five of that to try out too. 
  • cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 2,439
    Mine only carries the 15lb bags.  I want to try their XL bag too.

John - SLC, UT

Several eggs ..

• I have a bag of the 30lb unopened in my garage. I did see the XL at Walmart last week and was tempted to grab a bag, but my wife would have cried foul if I took up anymore garage space with charcoal.  I’m interested in getting feedback from anyone who has tried it.  
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 198
    Picked up a bag this morning at the Sarasota Walmart.  I've been using Rockwood on a regular basis the past few months, but I have a bag of this and a bag of B&B as backup.
  • Which Walmart in Texas did you find this? 
  • cheeaacheeaa Posts: 346
    Yeah in stl, the Arnold Walmart has this. Just got a bag last week
  • Which Walmart in Texas did you find this? 
    Plano TX. Dallas area. 
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 1,032
    Grabbed some in Atlanta today.  For 50 cents a pound that's a great deal.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Local Walmart has the 30# (.56/lb) and new XL, at .93/lb.  I pay $1/lb for Rockwood, so the XL was not a big deal to me!

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

BGE XL++Flameboss 300 WiFi++Blackstone 36"++2 Weber Kettles

But why pay more for larger pieces?   
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Gr_eggerGr_egger Posts: 35
    Your signature line is no longer valid
    Too much time in Portland OR and not enough time on the beach
  • Gr_egger said:
    Your signature line is no longer valid
    BTW I didn't say I BOUGHT the lump, I said I SAW it and passed the deal to others. Thanks though.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,498
    edited February 11
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 2,482
    Just saw this tonight in North Texas 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• littlerascal56littlerascal56 Posts: 955
    edited June 23
    The bags I tried had some HUGE rocks in them. Might want to try the B&B instead!  

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

• GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 2,544
    I bought a bag, found it a bit smokey for my taste, and restocked up on Rockwood when I caught a sale.
    I've been using the 30 pounders for awhile now.  Cant beat them for pizza cooks.   For low n slows you just have to wait 1 hour or 2 before the meat goes on.   Rockwood is definitely better,  but the 30 pound bags are great if you aren't in a hurry. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
    The B&B is $12.44 for 20# bag. That’s $0.62 per pound.  The Royal Oak is $0.56 per pound.  If you discount the big rocks on the RO, the B&B is cheaper.  Just sayin’!

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

• frazzdaddyfrazzdaddy Posts: 1,177
    edited June 23
    Been getting Nature Glo 20lb for 15.00 . Have not seen any rocks. Works fine so far through 6 bags.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,787
    Been getting Nature Glo 20lb for 15.00 . Have not seen any rocks. Works fine so far through 6 bags.
    The Naked Whiz database says it is/was the food service packaging for Royal Oak.  This review was from 2004 so I don't if that or anything else is still true.  The review can be found at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag43.htm

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • CigarCityEggerCigarCityEgger Posts: 1,510
    I use only royal oak bc it’s the most convenient and priced well. Will see if they have this in stock at my local Wally-World. Thanks for sharing 
  • lightningQlightningQ Posts: 38
    I've been using the XL Royal Oak for about 6 months, I like it the pieces are nice and big and burn clean.  Paired with the right wood chucks it does a great job for my taste and economical. 
  • frazzdaddyfrazzdaddy Posts: 1,177
    Shiff said:
    The Naked Whiz database says it is/was the food service packaging for Royal Oak.  This review was from 2004 so I don't if that or anything else is still true.  The review can be found at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag43.htm

I know, my rather abstract point is that I have found no rocks or other debris so far with 6 bags. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • MikeeMikee Posts: 847
    Shiff said:

When buying a car would you rely on a 2004 review of that model car? Chances are pretty good that the 2019 car is a tad different than the 2004 model. The naked whiz database is certainly not something reliable. One good bag of lump they received 20 years ago and people think its the holy grail. While they set out to do good, their info in todays age make their database essentially useless. The best way to get a current review is to buy a bag/box of lump and decide for yourself.
  • CigarCityEggerCigarCityEgger Posts: 1,510
    My local Walmart did not have Royal Oak for the first time since I had my egg. Wonder why?
  • ToxarchToxarch Posts: 1,845
    I've used a lot of the 18/20 lb and some of the 30s. I get maybe 1 small rocks in 10 bags. Good stuff and good price. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• WebassWebass Posts: 209
    FWIW Walmart at my local E. Tenn store has 15lb. for 9.96. No 30 lb. bags.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• EagleIIIEagleIII Posts: 348
    Use a lot of Royal Oak as it is decent quality at an excellent price and readily available at Wally-World, although lately, Wally-World has been inconsistent with Royal Oak being in or out of stock.  Maybe demand exceeding supply?
    edited July 10
    My local Walmart had 30# bags of Western lump for $9.88, so I had to grab one to try out.
    The B&B they stock is not bad, but has a lot of 1.5” round limb stock in the bag.  And a bit “sparky” when you light it.

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

• TeefusTeefus Posts: 861
    Royal Oak got stinky on me. OK for open cooks (burgers, steaks) but not for anything with the lid closed. It added the faint aroma and taste of a bias ply tire or roofing materials. Disappointing as I'd used it successfully for some time. Made the change to Rockwood and have never been let down.
    Michiana, South of the border.