Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin Eggers ***RED ALERT***

Options
The Costco in South Austin (William Cannon) is loaded with Wagyu briskets, $4.99 lb. (pic borrowed from another forum)
Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Holy shite!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    It looks like the other shoppers are unaware!  SWARM!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    Holy shite!
    Road trip 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Holly crap sometimes it sucks to be in Canada. Not only does Costco not carry brisket, my butcher is $8.9 a pound for prime 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,196
    Options
    Looking at plane tickets now!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Dam it sucks to be too far away to warrant the drive.  :s
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    I was in the Rockwall store on Wed and didn’t see it, so got a prime, which I am babysitting right now. Which Costco have you seen them at? 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Just spend $4.99 for choice...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @TexasisBestest how long do the sales typically last?  A week or are they sold out over the weekend? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @TexasisBestest how long do the sales typically last?  A week or are they sold out over the weekend? 
    Usually a week. They sell till they are gone. Most people have no idea what they are so they last a few days usually..
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    Slippy said:
    I was in the Rockwall store on Wed and didn’t see it, so got a prime, which I am babysitting right now. Which Costco have you seen them at? 
    Tollway and Park. 
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    did anyone get any of these? are they the SRF they had over July 4th or another brand? I still have a few SRF in the freezer but have some classes coming up. Would be a nice treat to use Wagyu if they are good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    did anyone get any of these? are they the SRF they had over July 4th or another brand? I still have a few SRF in the freezer but have some classes coming up. Would be a nice treat to use Wagyu if they are good.
    Someone asked the same question on the Brethren and the answer was no. For $5/lb it's worth giving a shot however. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Someone asked the same question on the Brethren and the answer was no. For $5/lb it's worth giving a shot however. 
    I'll take a look tomorrow.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    damn it - i've got a sams club membership
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    the classes sound nice, when are you doing them i would be interested to hear more.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    the classes sound nice, when are you doing them i would be interested to hear more.
    We teach a few classes at our egg dealer who is also a kitchen store with a teaching kitchen (Faraday’s Kitchen Store). We teach mostly BGE focused classes for them. The brisket class is a hit so they try to have us do one of those most months. Sometimes I’m too busy to fit it in but we like to do them when we have time. 

Next class is brisket on Saturday March 2nd here in austin. It will sell out well in advance so book early if you want a spot. I think he charges $69 per person which is super cheap for a class like this. Especially if I use wagyu brisket :) 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Just saw you are in AL. Long drive for a 2 hr class. I'll tell you anything I tell them for free on here anyway but we would love to have you come visit any time.
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    For the record they are NOT SRF this time. Last year's wagyu WAS SRF. 
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    That's awesome...  hopefully they make it to Atlanta Costcos!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Slippy
    Options
    What has been your experience with frozen wagyu? Still just as good as fresh? Do you thaw it for a couple of days in the fridge? Thanks!! 
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    We teach a few classes at our egg dealer who is also a kitchen store with a teaching kitchen (Faraday’s Kitchen Store). We teach mostly BGE focused classes for them. The brisket class is a hit so they try to have us do one of those most months. Sometimes I’m too busy to fit it in but we like to do them when we have time. 

Next class is brisket on Saturday March 2nd here in austin. It will sell out well in advance so book early if you want a spot. I think he charges $69 per person which is super cheap for a class like this. Especially if I use wagyu brisket :) 
    Just checked, they are already sold out. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Slippy said:
    What has been your experience with frozen wagyu? Still just as good as fresh? Do you thaw it for a couple of days in the fridge? Thanks!! 
    The best briskets I have ever done were snake river farms and those were all frozen, the SRF I bought from Costco in July were fresh but I ground 2 (one for sausage and one for burgers) and made pastrami out of 1. Still have 2 frozen but have not smoked one that wasn’t frozen first. 

Im going to grab a few of these tomorrow for the class (assuming they still have some). They very well may be SRF but in generic packaging. Either way, I’ll try it if they look good. 

• littlerascal56
    Options
    My Kroeger has Choice ones on sale for $2.99 this week. 
  • Slippy
    Options

The best briskets I have ever done were snake river farms and those were all frozen, the SRF I bought from Costco in July were fresh but I ground 2 (one for sausage and one for burgers) and made pastrami out of 1. Still have 2 frozen but have not smoked one that wasn’t frozen first. 

Do you just place in the fridge a couple of days before to thaw? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    swarm?   SWARM!
    I saw at ours yesterday they were $1.77 a lb

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I saw at ours yesterday they were $1.77 a lb
    Academy has some nice LEM meat grinders on clearance sale right now.
    Those $1.77 briskets make awesome burgers. I like to grind in a little jalapeño sausage with the brisket.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Slippy said:

Do you just place in the fridge a couple of days before to thaw? 
    Takes about a week to thaw in the fridge or half a day if you put it in water and leave out to thaw. Don’t use warm water- cool tap water in an open cooler/Cambro  is the way I do it.