Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature control

Options
Help new xl egg
having trouble going low 

Comments

• littlerascal56
    Options
    My XL doesn’t play well below 300.  For L&S, i put my Flameboss on it and monitor from my phone!
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    Just finished a 22 hr cook at 225° on my XL using the daisy wheel and Rockwood charcoal.  The overnight temperature was 32°.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    How low are you trying to go? I can hold 225 in mine pretty nicely without a blower. Below that is hard. I normally use a blower just because it's easy and worry free. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BGEChicago
    Options
    Topper said:
    Help new xl egg
    having trouble going low 
    @Topper

On my XL this is 235, I never dampen the bottom vent, it's always wide open.

Image result for big green egg daisy wheel settings

This book goes over this and also includes suggestions on pairing smoking woods to different protein. It also has some spot on recipes:

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Dollinger
    Options
    OK it is fire.  Fire needs three things. Fuel, oxygen, and temperature. Charcoal is the fuel. Damp or dense charcoal won't burn as fast or hot. The degree of carbonation or effective air flow (size of holes between charcoal may change this) through the charcoal will change the combustion.   So even if you set the vent the same each time you may not get the same results. The lower the temperature, the smaller the fire so it's not as easy to control. If you can keep everything consistent you may be able to figure out damper settings. But a controller that make the adjustments contentiously and gives you the pit and meat temperatures  on your phone will make life a lot easier. I have an egg genius which is made by flame boss. It works well and you just get the fire going and set the temp you want and close the lid and wait for it to come up to temperature. The only trick to to put the pit probe on the ear of a binder clip so it really measures the air temperature not the mass of the metal. Now people will have different opinions about which controller is best. I will just tell you the egg genius works well for me and makes the egg easy to use. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    You are almost undoubtedly lighting too much charcoal at start up. Light one spot in the center. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    Topper said:
    Help new xl egg
    having trouble going low 
    @Topper

On my XL this is 235, I never dampen the bottom vent, it's always wide open.

Really? Bottom vent wide open and you can hold 235 - I wouldn't have thought it.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

How are you lighting? Is your dome thermometer calibrated.? To many ??? to accurately help you

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

I can do 225F on my XL with just a sliver at the top on the DW and about a cedit card width at the bottom. It will fluctuate 10 degrees + or -.

Never had it go out, and it seems to hold prerty well. Windy days are a challenge, but outside of that, I am very pleased with the control.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gravytrain84
    Options

Best thing I did was buy a flameboss. No more guessing and sleepless nights.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Sorry, the thickness of a credit card. If that. Keeps the air flow going.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Alsgrillmate
    Options

I have a XL egg and always had trouble holding temperatures below 275 until recently when i installed new rutland gaskets. Holding 230 now is not a problem, Not sure if its the way the original gasket fit or what, but the rutland gasket made all the difference in the world.