Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Rack Expansion Setup

So, I want to add some cooking area to my LG BGE and I'm looking for suggestions.  I've seen some acronyms thrown around but have no clue as to what you guys are talking about...lol.  

With that said, let the suggestions fly.  Can't wait to check em out.  

Thanks,

--J

Comments

• Just Google “rack expansion”. On second thought, you might just get hits for plastic surgeons. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    AR combo with extender from CGS.  
  • Dmb3739
    Dmb3739 Posts: 62
    I'm with Carolina Q on this one. There are many options available but none compare to the setups offered by The Ceramic Grill Store.  As for all of the acronyms, I couldn't agree with you more.  When I first started out on this forum, I felt like I was reading another language.  I wish guys would remember that unless someone has been around on this site for a while, they may have no idea what people are talking about
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Ceramic grill store.....made in texas.  Everything else is a Chinese knockoff of their patent.
  • Thanks!  I'll check out CGS  =) 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Don’t be afraid to discuss things with him. It’s kind of like having a custom fabricator at your disposal for BGE. Now don’t get me wrong, he has already done the math for most everything you can possibly imagine. But he will make things to your specks. Right quick. Very trusted source
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    BGE makes an OEM version called the EGGSpander. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    (940) 387-0100

FIFY
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • I like my ps woo with extended grid with a mix of half grids and stones 

tons of possibilities 
  • stlcharcoal
    Ceramic grill store.....made in texas.  Everything else is a Chinese knockoff of their patent.
    SonVolt said:
    Like I said.......
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like my ps woo with extended grid with a mix of half grids and stones 

tons of possibilities 
    @unoriginalusername - I have been thinking about the PSWoo plus extender. Have you tried fitting butts on two levels? I think it is 3.5 inches so not sure if butts would fit. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Call Tom at CGS or just go buy everything they offer for your egg; you're going to end up with it all eventually  =)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,063
    edited January 2019
    I like my ps woo with extended grid with a mix of half grids and stones 

tons of possibilities 
    @unoriginalusername - I have been thinking about the PSWoo plus extender. Have you tried fitting butts on two levels? I think it is 3.5 inches so not sure if butts would fit. 
    Ya I had four butts on last weekend. One was thicker and touched but worked fine 

example my little of everything setup. No delay Indirect and high heat reverse sear all in one

• stlcharcoal
    lousubcap said:
    SonVolt said:
    Just to reemphasize what @stlcharcoal said, BGE basically copied the Ceramic Grill Store after-market designs and changed the name to something BGE related.  very low class move right there.  FWIW-
    And they make in China to save money......yet at retail it's 50% more than the Woo.

What's up with that?  Steal someone's patent, make it for cheaper, then sell it for more money in a green box.  That's what we used to see from another brand that BGE said they were better than.  When I was a dealer, I was told to trash the other brand because it was a copy cat and made in China.  Now what's their selling point?  The new nests, modular tables, etc are made in China rather than Wisconsin.

We're bringing in the new Gen III KJ's and ProJoe's to our store.    
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    SonVolt said:
    Yes. And the original manufacturer was Ceramic Grill Store. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2019
    And they make in China to save money......yet at retail it's 50% more than the Woo.

Interesting. Do we have any verification that CGS makes their products with US made Stainless, or are they importing their steel from China, fabricating it here, and claiming "Made in USA"?  I'm poking around their website but not seeing any explanation of where they source their steel. As a long time steel worker, that to me is much more important than where it's fabricated.  I haven't been around long enough jump on any bandwagons so I'm genuinely curious. 

EDIT: "The PSWoo components are fabricated using USA drawn 304 Stainless Steel wire"

Good on them! 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • stlcharcoal
    SonVolt said:

Interesting. Do we have any verification that CGS makes their products with US made Stainless, or are they importing their steel from China, fabricating it here, and claiming "Made in USA"?  I'm poking around their website but not seeing any explanation of where they source their steel. As a long time steel worker, that to me is much more important than where it's fabricated.  I haven't been around long enough jump on any bandwagons so I'm genuinely curious. 

EDIT: "The PSWoo components are fabricated using USA drawn 304 Stainless Steel wire"

Good on them! 

Yes I've visited their shop and I saw them being produced first hand.  I think CGS has some YouTube videos of the machines in action.

Tom @tjv can explain the cheaper grade stainless steel being used on the Eggspander.  It has that chrome plated look rather than the dull silver color 304 has.  It's not 304.

If you ever get to DFW, go visit them.....it's worth the drive up to Denton!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053

Good on them! 
    And it is all fabricated in the back of his store.  If you are ever able to visit, Tom will give you a tour.  
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited January 2019
    SonVolt said:

Good on them! 
    Next we can talk about the charcoal companies in the US that bring charcoal in from Mexico by the tractor trailer load, then mix it in with their product up to 50%......yet they still put a US flag on the bag and say "Made in the USA!!"  Hint:  Not us.
  • is this where all the stone, half baked pieces, and cement come from in a bag that is green and have a name that is in the neighborhood of Royal Oak?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    bgebrent said:

Boy, you really got that clean! What method did you end up using to clean it????😜
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:

Boy, you really got that clean! What method did you end up using to clean it????😜
    Hahaha.  Only Tom knows that secret. B)
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    There was a time not long ago where a thread about rack expansion would have yielded different pics....
    Jacksonville FL
  • bgebrent
    Dobie said:
    There was a time not long ago where a thread about rack expansion would have yielded different pics....
    Lamenting with you.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @pgprescott - You may inquire of the length of ownership... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    lousubcap said:
    I’m hoping he at least burned off the latent oils from manufacturing. Pretty nice shiny rig right dare!
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    I’m hoping he at least burned off the latent oils from manufacturing. Pretty nice shiny rig right dare!
    I burned of the latents prior to the cook because perfectionism is simply obvious.  I prefer obvious.