Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Who makes the best Chest Freezer??

Options

So know that the vacuum sealer debate is settles(per another thread), what does everyone recommend for a chest freezer to store all the vacuum sealed goodness in?

is 7 Cubic feet enough?  which brand?

Figure a single guy who entertains often and cooks on the egg a lot.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,358
    Options
    Staying tuned. In the market as well 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Not sure brand matters, as far as 7 sq ft, depends on family members and how much you like to keep on hand or buy meat when it’s cheap etc. if you just bought a vacuum seeler and there is more than 1 person, at least 10-12+. Freezer space is like horsepower. Seems like you can always use more
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    In my experience the best chest freezer is an upright freezer. Just way more functional. I would easily pay double or more for an upright  over a chest type. Seriously trying to help even though it may not seem like it. Good
    luck either way. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,358
    Options
    In my experience the best chest freezer is an upright freezer. Just way more functional. I would easily pay double or more for an upright  over a chest type. Seriously trying to help even though it may not seem like it. Good
    luck either way. 
    Upright? Man, know the challenge the freezer can be on my side-by-side  Sheet slides out and won't stay in place  

At least with a chest I can pile stuff in and know that it will stay 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    luck either way. 
    Upright? Man, know the challenge the freezer can be on my side-by-side  Sheet slides out and won't stay in place  

The chest retains cold better than an upright. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Chest will be your best value, regardless of brand.  Keep it full, and will run cheap and last for 20+ years with no problems.  I am 62, and only on my 2nd chest freezer. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    luck either way. 

My point exactly stuff piled on top of stuff ugh! No thanks. I gave my chest freezer away. I’ll pay the extra $5 a year in operating cost gladly. Don’t see very many chest refrigerators because the design is inconvenient. Just my $.02. 
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    luck either way. 

My point exactly stuff piled on top of stuff ugh! No thanks. I gave my chest freezer away. I’ll pay the extra $5 a year in operating cost gladly. Don’t see very many chest refrigerators because the design is inconvenient. Just my $.02. 

We had an upright when I was a kid, dad actually still has it.  But man, what a PIA when we have to defrost that thing......and we were still unstacking one shelf to find what was in the back, no wait, it's actually in the back of a different shelf.

Bad memories as a kid, doesn't necessary mean the other is better, but the grass does sure seem greener, at least better smelling :) 

BUT I am open to being proven wrong, hence the thread asking for others opinions\experience.  and thank you

• pgprescott
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    luck either way. 

We had an upright when I was a kid, dad actually still has it.  But man, what a PIA when we have to defrost that thing......and we were still unstacking one shelf to find what was in the back, no wait, it's actually in the back of a different shelf.

Bad memories as a kid, doesn't necessary mean the other is better, but the grass does sure seem greener, at least better smelling :) 

BUT I am open to being proven wrong, hence the thread asking for others opinions\experience.  and thank you

My upright is frost free. Again prolly is a pig ( few bucks more a year) but totally maintenance free. For me it’s an absolute no brainer.  Again, just imagine your refrigerator contents piled up like the chest freezer. That’s what you are tolerating with a chest freezer. If you have an entire freezer full of hamburger then I would be ok with a chest freezer. My freezer has dozens of unique items. 
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options

Frost Free??  I thought frost free was the anti long time storage feature? 

Is this a misconception of mine?

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I too was taught you don’t want “frost free” in a freezer, as it would defrost itself every 24 hours, and tend to freezer burn the frozen food.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,367
    Options

Frost Free??  I thought frost free was the anti long time storage feature? 

Is this a misconception of mine?

Frost free is fine for the sort of use in a home kitchen where most folks are cycling thru the food fairly quickly. For long term freezer storage where many things will be in there for a much longer period then a frost free does not provide the best quality preservation because of that routine thawing/defrost cycle.
    However, I've pulled frozen meat from my kitchen frost free fridge/freezer that was down there (bottom freezer) over a year and I couldn't really detect any deterioration in quality.

Easy way to deal with a chest freezer is to use milk crates or the like to contain various items. Makes it real easy to find and get to stuff.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    :i_dunno:

My residential deep freeze -10F is a Frigidaire and we've been happy with it.  Commercial reach-ins both coolers and freezers I like True, Traulsen and some Beverage-Air models and I guess even Perlick.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    I have stored elk and mule deer for up to two years without issue in our upright frost free freezer.  I have noticed freezer burn on certain non-meat items like lasagna after six months.  Sometimes we do a double batch of lasagna and I vacuum seal individual portions for when I am playing bachelor and need a quick yummy meal after work.  I checked the date and we have had this Frigidaire upright frost-free for eight years. 

As far as stuff sliding out, our model has hanging baskets for items that don't really stack well.  This pic is not normally what our freezer looks like, but we just went in on half a beef with our neighbors.  So it is pretty full now, but obviously will be less crowded as time passes. 

If you decide on an upright, I suggest making sure that it has a circulating fan.  I do keep the bottom and top vents from being blocked even though it may not look like it in the pic.  The fan keeps items on the top shelf as cold as on the bottom. 

We usually keep ours out negative 5 degrees.  I think I read once deer meat should be kept at that temp for 30 days before turning into jerky to kill something or another.  I really have no idea.  LOL
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't know what refrigerant type is used in residential freezers/refrigerators now, but I recently bought a new commercial refrigerator for my business and it uses a hydrocarbon based refrigerant that is of course flammable.
    The new hydrocarbon refrigerant is CFC free and good for the environment, but really bad when it leaks and explodes.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Note-no matter what brand you pick, there is a good chance that Whirlpool built it.  Many major brands (including Kitchen Aid) are built by Whirlpool corporation.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited January 2019
    Options
    We have an upright, frost-free Frigidaire. It has a mix of slide-out and fixed shelves that work great. No problem with freezer burn. It's set at -20F.

I'd buy the same model again.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     For items that are not vac sealed, a non defrosting freezer is way better. Self defrosting units tend to dry out it's contents over time. Imagine going to cook left over king crab and finding them filled with a dusty residue...

Chest freezers are so simple. A t-stat and a compressor(with relay and overloads protector). Sometimes a lamp. Don't worry too much about brand. Pic any major manufacturer. They will last as long as the refrigerant does not leak and the compressor runs. Usually 20 years or so.

All residential refrigeration units use a hydro flouro-carbon since the ninetys. EPA banned chloro-flourocarbons for this use.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,195
    Options
    I am in the market too, I am getting 1/2 a cow (~350 lbs) .... not sure what size to get.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Just a comment to those concerned about freezer burn:

I double wrap leftovers or freshly sliced meat in Kirkland stretch-tite plastic wrap then put them in Ziploc freezer bags. Rotate inventory 6 - 12 months in the frost-free freezer and have never had a freezer burn issue. Not once.

I hope this helps with your decision.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    GregW said:
    I don't know what refrigerant type is used in residential freezers/refrigerators now, but I recently bought a new commercial refrigerator for my business and it uses a hydrocarbon based refrigerant that is of course flammable.
    The new hydrocarbon refrigerant is CFC free and good for the environment, but really bad when it leaks and explodes.
    Most refrigerators and freezers used to be R12, which was replaced with R134a because of the chlorine in 12, which is still often used today.  (except in Europe) R410a is sometimes used.  The 134a and 410a are hydrofluorocarbons and not flammable.   Sometimes you will find R600a, which is isobutane (no halogens) which is flammable.   However, there is typically only around 6 oz of refrigerant in most units and explosions are exceedingly rare.
    Options
    GregW said:
    Most refrigerators and freezers used to be R12, which was replaced with R134a because of the chlorine in 12, which is still often used today.  (except in Europe) R410a is sometimes used.  The 134a and 410a are hydrofluorocarbons and not flammable.   Sometimes you will find R600a, which is isobutane (no halogens) which is flammable.   However, there is typically only around 6 oz of refrigerant in most units and explosions are exceedingly rare.
    I was just going to say that, but you beat me to it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Its 600. This was posted in an HVAC forum I’m in. I’m not an HVAC person, but installed a mini split and had to get learned. The industry is moving towards this refrigerant due to its safety to the environment. Its safety towards humans and their exploding cars, houses, and appliances is in question. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    GregW said:
    I was just going to say that, but you beat me to it.
    Probably more due to Florida than anything else.  An awful lot of strange stories come from there.
  • datsuyama
    Options
    I too like my upright.  The problem I found with a chest freezer is two-fold.  One, stuff gets buried in the freezer, who knows what is on the bottom of the heap?  And two, the chest freezer itself gets buried under stuff.  Anytime there is a flat horizontal surface, it tends to invite the stacking of crap on top of it.  
    My upright has plastic bins I bought and I slide them out when I need something.  I put all fish in one, all game meat in another, etc.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    You should ask @GrillSgt he’s a Freezer GURU. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I have twin fridgedairs , we like them  both are 15'. Also have a 10' chest in the garage that I use as a chamber-freezer-fridge that I control with an a421
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    We have a Coldspot chest freezer we purchased when we got married in 1968. Coldspot was Sears' appliance brand before Kenmore.  We've never had a problem (I hope I didn't just put a hex on it) except the bulb in the top has been burned out for about 25 years.  I just haven't had a chance to go get a new one.  About every other year in the summer, I'll unload it, drag it out in the driveway, turn it on it's side and, after a few minutes to loosen the 3" frost buildup, I'll hose it out.  I pickup about 10% more capacity when I do this.

All in all, we've been fairly pleased with the service we've had from it.  :)  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit