Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you like chargrilled oysters

Tried this recipe last night using my Loftinoysters.com shells.  This one is a keeper for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e700YvdOVhc
https://www.loftinoysters.com/

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Those look awesome!
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    BobDanger said:
    Those look awesome!
    @BobDanger
    I do chargrilled oysters a lot, mostly the Dragos recipe with an occasional compound butter in the mix.  These were sensational.  I think the cognac combined with the oyster liquor and those good and salty Louisiana oysters make for an excellent combination.  The tarragon adds a nice layer of flavor as well.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I love the Drago's oysters. I've been looking for shells to grill the oysters in. The Loftinoysters.com shells look great, however they are pricey. At my home I would need at least 3 dozen. It's shocking how may oysters my teenage son can eat. He hardly leaves any for me.
    I really would like to be able to cook with the preshucked oysters ( I'm terrible at opening oysters)
    Has anyone got a economical alternative to the Loftinoysters shells? other than natural oyster shells?

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    GregW said:
    I love the Drago's oysters. I've been looking for shells to grill the oysters in. The Loftinoysters.com shells look great, however they are pricey. At my home I would need at least 3 dozen. It's shocking how may oysters my teenage son can eat. He hardly leaves any for me.
    I really would like to be able to cook with the preshucked oysters ( I'm terrible at opening oysters)
    Has anyone got a economical alternative to the Loftinoysters shells? other than natural oyster shells?

Headed to New Orleans tomorrow and want to try Chargrilled oysters. Does Drago's get crazy busy?  
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • RajunCajun
    Slippy said:
    GregW said:

Headed to New Orleans tomorrow and want to try Chargrilled oysters. Does Drago's get crazy busy?  
    @s@Slippy
    If Dragos is busy, try the Bourbon House.  They have an oyster bar and chargrill them right in front of you and they are pretty darn good.  Enjoy!
  • RajunCajun
    GregW said:

@g@GregW

I found these....they should work fairly well.  The only thing is that the stainless may not retain quite the heat that the ceramic will.

https://www.amazon.com/Oyster-Shells-Stainless-Steel-Reusable/dp/B00GO4OHBE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Slippy said:
    GregW said:

Dragos does get busy.

Superior Seafood on Napoleon and St. Charles has a great happy hour every day between around 4 and 6. 

Acme - in the quarter

Lots of places do them now, google it.

If you are around the airport, Kenner Seafood and Harbor
    GregW said:

@g@GregW

I found these....they should work fairly well.  The only thing is that the stainless may not retain quite the heat that the ceramic will.

https://www.amazon.com/Oyster-Shells-Stainless-Steel-Reusable/dp/B00GO4OHBE
    You could go to Home Depot and buy a big bag of rock salt, spread an inch or two layer in a suitable pan and heat that up in your oven or grill.
    That will then create a nice warm bed to set the steel "oyster shells" on and keep them warm for awhile until they are eaten.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Seems like a lot of work when you can just eat them raw.  =) ........actually never met a oyster I didn’t like. Beautiful work. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    BobDanger said:
    Those look awesome!
    @BobDanger
    I do chargrilled oysters a lot, mostly the Dragos recipe with an occasional compound butter in the mix.  These were sensational.  I think the cognac combined with the oyster liquor and those good and salty Louisiana oysters make for an excellent combination.  The tarragon adds a nice layer of flavor as well.
    Do you have a link to the Dragos recipe you use? Merci.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RajunCajun
    BobDanger said:
    Those look awesome!
    @BobDanger
    Do you have a link to the Dragos recipe you use? Merci.
    @ca@"Carolina Q" 
    Here is the basic recipe.  I add more cheese to the mix
  • Carolina Q
    Hmmm, no recipe?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Hmmm, no recipe?
    The Buffalo 🐃 may hate oysters  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RajunCajun
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Yessssssss! Solid work brother!
    LBGE
    AL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Love dragos.  Fun to sit at the oyster bar and chat up the dude shucking. Amazing how fast he is. 

Also, those look great!
  • jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    edited January 2019
    Gone to all of them, Mr. Eds does a pretty good job and not nearly as crowed as Acme or Felix.  The one on Beinville had a great bartender, knew lots of good info and took care of ya. 
    Large BGE  Houston TX