Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Suggestions Welcomed...

Options
acolle
acolle Posts: 133
edited December 2018 in EggHead Forum
I've been splitting my bird(s) in half. Removing the keel (breastbone thing). I recently posted that I enjoy mesquite smoke, however, I find I am in the minority with that preference. I often use a little oil / s&p / butt rub (no sugar/sweetener household). Slow cook around 200-225 indirect. Care to share tried and true wood ideas other than mesquite? Currently looking at new ideas... Thanks, All!

Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Raised direct 350-400 no smoke over rockwood.  Keep the bird simple. Brine if you want to raise your game that’s it IMO. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nothing wrong with mesquite as long as you are burning a clean fire. Almost all the roadside chicken in Mexico is cooked over mesquite and it's some of the tastiest chicken on earth. I like to cook my birds hot (400-450). You could use mesquite chunks in a cook like that but I would not go low and slow with mesquite in a bge. When you choke the oxygen down, it will smolder. Smoldering mesquite is just acrid and nasty.  You have to give it plenty of oxygen and let the fire run.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    nothing wrong with mesquite as long as you are burning a clean fire. Almost all the roadside chicken in Mexico is cooked over mesquite and it's some of the tastiest chicken on earth. I like to cook my birds hot (400-450). You could use mesquite chunks in a cook like that but I would not go low and slow with mesquite in a bge. When you choke the oxygen down, it will smolder. Smoldering mesquite is just acrid and nasty.  You have to give it plenty of oxygen and let the fire run.

I grew up in AZ. Spent much time in Mexico. This is why I think I'm such a fan the mesquite. Great advice on the no smolder. Thank you. 
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    acolle said:
    I've been splitting my bird(s) in half. Removing the keel (breastbone thing). I recently posted that I enjoy mesquite smoke, however, I find I am in the minority with that preference. I often use a little oil / s&p / butt rub (no sugar/sweetener household). Slow cook around 200-225 indirect. Care to share tried and true wood ideas other than mesquite? Currently looking at new ideas... Thanks, All!

I do the same as you except I go raised direct about 4” or so above the felt and use red oak for smoke.   I sometimes mix Butt Rub with Dizzy Dust 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    acolle said:

I grew up in AZ. Spent much time in Mexico. This is why I think I'm such a fan the mesquite. Great advice on the no smolder. Thank you. 
    I love mesquite as well. It’s wonderful as long as you let it burn clean. I have a stack
    iutside I blend in with oak in my stick burning smoker. I won’t use it in my bge though. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX