Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mesquite + Poultry!

Options
Local dealer/shop had a guide pinned up by the various species of wood chunks they sell... Basically a what wood goes best with what meat while smoking chart. I was quick to judge as they didn't make any indication that mesquite would be good for poultry? I grew up in AZ so I might be bias on the whole mesquite thing... But some of the best chicken I've ever had was mesquite grilled/smoked. I felt like I should have made a sharpie addition the their chart. Anyhow. What do I know? Possibly I'm the odd one in all this...
Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Mileage may vary, but mesquite ranks right up there with hot garbage for me. Not a fan and don't use for anything, but I assume somebody out there is making it work otherwise I wouldn't see it every where. I usually stick with fruit woods for poultry.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I've mostly used mesquite with beef, and always as a percentage (25% mesquite, 75% oak or other).  Would think pure mesquite would be a bit much for cheekun, but I'm willing to try anything once.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Without actually saying it you have and love the acquired taste of mesquite. Nothing wrong with standing up for what you like. Personally I can't stand it - but so what? It's your meat! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I find mesquite a little too strong for poultry. Use it more on steaks.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited December 2018
    Options

Mesquite isn't my favorite in as smoldering smoke wood.  In a stickburner or santa maria type situation i don't mind it.  Clean fire seems to make a big difference with that particular wood.

Phoenix 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Mileage may vary, but mesquite ranks right up there with hot garbage for me. Not a fan and don't use for anything, but I assume somebody out there is making it work otherwise I wouldn't see it every where. I usually stick with fruit woods for poultry.
    Wife and I are also not fans of mesquite for cooking food.  I did find a use for it, when I bought a bag of mesquite lump once.  It works just fine for "cleaning the egg" burns.  :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    As already noted in depth, mesquite can be a polarizing flavor. I really enjoy it but rarely use it unless cooking for myself.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    My dad used it for turkey breast and it was always great. 

But it you can definitely overdo it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX