Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloins at Aldi - $9.99 lb.

Options
ElkhornHusker
ElkhornHusker Posts: 493
edited December 2018 in EggHead Forum
$9.99 lb.  Grabbed one today and may have to go back, cheapest price I have seen.
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone
Akorn Jr. 

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Was it a peeled or unpeeled one?  There was a big discussion here a week or so ago about the difference.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I just paid $20 a lb at Costco, it was peeled. I just checked our weekly Aldi ad, this deal expires on Christmas.....
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Just got a couple Choice unpeeled tenderloins at Costco for $11.99 a pound.   Also grabbed a 10 pound brisket to grind up with any leftover tenderloin scraps for burgers. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    At Aldi it is unpeeled, so there will be some waste.  
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I just paid $20 a lb at Costco, it was peeled. I just checked our weekly Aldi ad, this deal expires on Christmas.....
    I got the same peeled at Costco

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Was it a peeled or unpeeled one?  There was a big discussion here a week or so ago about the difference.
    I have to go find that thread.. if anyone has it handy, it would be appreciated. Searching on the phone stinks. I know how to do it, but it still stinks. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    FWIW, Restaurant Depot is the same price as Aldi $9.99 a lb.... 
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I bought one tonight and cut off a hunk, I'll get back you you tomorrow. It needs a little cleaning up, about 1/4 Lb of fat on the outside, not really a big deal.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,991
    edited December 2018
    Options
     not much if you trim it right. Lots of good videos out there but let me know if you need any guidance. I peeled hundreds of them back in the day. A lot of the “waste” are some of the best bites on the loin. They aren’t fit for steaks and need some silver skin trimmed away but make great kebabs, sandwiches, steak tips, stir fry. You can get by with very little waste if you put in a little work. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Or food for this guy:

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    Select or Choice?
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
     not much if you trim it right. Lots of good videos out there but let me know if you need any guidance. I peeled hundreds of them back in the day. A lot of the “waste” are some of the best bites on the loin. They aren’t fit for steaks and need some silver skin trimmed away but make great kebabs, sandwiches, steak tips, stir fry. You can get by with very little waste if you put in a little work. 
    I used to be a butcher, but it's been a few years.  I will keep you in mind when I start trimming, thanks 
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I used to be a butcher, but it's been a few years.  I will keep you in mind when I start trimming, thanks 
    Then you are good :) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    Select or Choice?
    I would say untrimmed choice, no marbling and some hard outside fat that needed to be removed but less than 2 ounces. It's kind of weird, its it's like a half assed peeled, I just ate my first cut, tender as hell. I would buy again without reservation. Christmas eve we have friends over for dinner, for that I serve a Costco peeled tenderloin for double the price, think of the Aldi tenderloin as the heavy girl in high school, not bad but don;t tell your friends :)
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    No marbling would be select at best