Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pasta Maker

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited December 2018 in EggHead Forum
So Norah Grace has been asking for a pasta maker for sometime and I honestly do not know which one to order for her.   They range in price greatly, but I have no idea what makes one better than another.  Any suggestions on who makes a good one?    I have read that the ones for her mixer aren’t that great.  

Thanks in advance for the assistance.  
This is the one my wife is thinking.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I have the Macato Ampia like the one above, about 30 years now , solid no issues ...you have to be able to clamp it and "can be" a 2 person operation towards the end when you are cutting.....your pasta dough is key....FWIW make you some pasta dough ( I prefer egg ) roll it out with a Pin fold and cut with a knife...makes killer pasta just the same
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    What mixer does she have?  I gave up on my Atlas and went with the Kitchenaid attachment, haven't looked back.
    The Atlas worked okay, but as @Ikapigian mentioned, it requires three hands.  Also, the countertop clamp is (imnsho) very poorly designed, comes loose all the time, and didn't fit my countertop at first (had to mod it).  Finally, there's not a lot of clearance for the pasta to exit on the crank machines; with the Kitchenaid, you have about a foot and makes handling much easier.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ryantt
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Botch She has a kitchenaid 7qt professional model.  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Get the kitchen aid pasta attachment set.  Works great.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    @Botch, I would go for the KA Adaptor....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have one like the one you posted above and it works great. Got it at a garage sale in the box for $5. The dough is key and it’s way different than any other dough I have made before it’s very dry and has to be worked some.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Another vote for the KA attachments. 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    100% KA attachments.  I used to have a manual pasta maker and I struggled with the clamping mechanism for ages.  The KA attachments make it a 1-person job...wayyy too easy.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited December 2018
    Options

I've got the Atlas.  Pasta making is still oddly satisfying for me.

For any of you with an Atlas style machine, check out this video starting at the 4 minute mark.  I'm trying his method next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpIBAR_7NRY&t=84s

Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a manual Imperia (like Atlas) that I got at Home Goods for about $30. I've only used it a few times, but it works fine. I knew it would see limited use so I didn't want to spend the money on the KA attachments. Mine makes 5 1/2" sheets and has two cutters for fettuccini and tagliatelle. Haven't tried it, but after watching Gennaro Contaldo make ravioli from sheets, it looks like that would be very easy too

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Here is another vote for the KA attachment.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Those manual pasta makers are cool to look at but a major pain in the ass to use. As others have said, go for the KA pasta attachment. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I can vouch for the Marcato.  I've never had an issue with handling it solo, but I did buy the motor accessory, so both my hands are free to manage the dough.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    smokingal said:
    I can vouch for the Marcato.  I've never had an issue with handling it solo, but I did buy the motor accessory, so both my hands are free to manage the dough.
    I looked long and hard at that motor (since I already had the machine) but, at the time, it was roughly the same cost as the KA atch; I'd still be struggling with the countertop clamp, plus it would then weigh a bunch more when it fell off and hit my foot!   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Another vote Kitchenaid but I have no experience using it. If she doesn't end up using it very often and want's to sell down the road the Kitchenaid pasta attachment's will bring in good money if you were to resell. Like Lit mentions above, he bought a hand crank version for $5 at a garage sale. 

For me personally the easier something is the more likely I'm going to pull it out of the cabinet and use it again. The Kitchenaid version might be the way to go in this scenario.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Botch said:
    smokingal said:
    I looked long and hard at that motor (since I already had the machine) but, at the time, it was roughly the same cost as the KA atch; I'd still be struggling with the countertop clamp, plus it would then weigh a bunch more when it fell off and hit my foot!   =)
    So this is what I purchased for 159.81 back in 2010.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000679FZ8

I no longer own the kitchen table that I had when I made the purchase which fit it perfectly.  I adjusted for the difference in table thickness when using my kitchen island by placing the pasta machine on a cutting board and then attaching the clamp.  The motor is not heavy.

However, I don't have a KA mixer, so buying one and the pasta attachment was not a desirable option.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info.  I will look at the KA stuff again.  For some reason I thought America’s test kitchen said it lacked, but for the life of me I can’t remember why. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Thanks everyone for the info.  I will look at the KA stuff again.  For some reason I thought America’s test kitchen said it lacked, but for the life of me I can’t remember why. 
    it depends which ka they tested, the smaller ones dont have the power. a 7 qt pro would be plenty big enough
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Probably because they didn’t get a kick back. You know how “reviews” are...
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    ryantt said:
    If it lacks, then let me tell you how much a hand crank, counter-mounted model lacks :)  Agree with @DoubleEgger above, some reviews have a small bias...
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • ryantt
    Options
    @fishlessman that makes sense.  I’ll have to find the review and video again.   

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    ryantt said:
    If it lacks, then let me tell you how much a hand crank, counter-mounted model lacks :)  Agree with @DoubleEgger above, some reviews have a small bias...
    In 1996, Consumer Reports said Old Milwaukee was the best beer in America. Since then, I always look at reviews with a skeptic's eye. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    ryantt said:
    In 1996, Consumer Reports said Old Milwaukee was the best beer in America. Since then, I always look at reviews with a skeptic's eye. 
    If I remember correctly they said it won the best "mass market beer" category, not best beer in the US.
    Didn't they also say that Spam was the winner of the best "canned meat" category? I seem to recall the outrage that set off among the Vienna sausage crowd.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ryantt
    Options
    Well after review, they said the ravioli attachment  is no good.  The other attachments were well received.  So it is now on order for Christmas for Chef Norah Grace.   
    Post surgery I’m only catching about half of what I listen to or read.  So it no wonder I was wrong.  

• bgebrent
    Options
    Check this resource out.  Homemade pasta is unmatched.

• ryantt
    Options
    @bgebrent ordered.  Thank you for the recommendation she’s going to love it.  

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    ryantt said:
    If I remember correctly they said it won the best "mass market beer" category, not best beer in the US.
    Didn't they also say that Spam was the winner of the best "canned meat" category? I seem to recall the outrage that set off among the Vienna sausage crowd.
    I believe you are correct. Still very high on my BS meter. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Homemade pasta is unmatched.

@bgebrent  Agree  ^^ 100%.  No comparison.  I'll check out the book, thanks.

@ryantt Don't forget a drying rack, or you'll be using coat hangers.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:

Homemade pasta is unmatched.

@bgebrent  Agree  ^^ 100%.  No comparison.  I'll check out the book, thanks.

@ryantt Don't forget a drying rack, or you'll be using coat hangers.

Drying rack is important and the above is SOA.  Have fun.