Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kansas City visit suggestions?

KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
I'll be in Kansas City for the first time this weekend (staying near Old Westport) with a few friends.
I've never been to the city and was looking for suggestions of must-visit restaurants or bars we should look up.
I'd say casual over fine dining, but we'll go for the quality regardless if it's something that you wouldn't miss in terms of meat or drink. (Sadly, one of the guys is a vegetarian, so if you happen to know a place with great beef AND epic brocolli... =)  but that's not a priority. ) 
If there are any particularly good craft brewers, that'd be good to hear about as well.

Thanks in advance for any tips.  I did do a forum search first but the tips I saw were pretty dated.

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• I liked Jack Stack, Joe's, and Gates for BBQ.  Those are kind of your more popular places around there though.  Others may have better opinions.  Arthur Bryant's too.  Grinders in downtown KCMO is really neat and the pizza is awesome.  I lived there for about a year back in 2009 so things may have changed since then. 
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Q39 is supposedly the best.  Joe's KC in the old gas station was good for restaurant BBQ--ribs & brisket were very good.  Been to Arthur Bryants, Gates, and Jack Stacks.....not impressed with any of them.

Pigwich is north of downtown by the river.....food truck attached to a butcher shop.  That was awesome!

If you're into aviation, check out the Airline History Museum and the TWA museum at the old downtown airport.  The Federal Reserve Museum is up by the WWI museum & memorial......it's not as cool at the US Mint tour in Fort Worth, but definitely worth the trip (and free).  

• We love Nick & Jakes in Overland Park, but it’s on 135th and a drive from Westport.  Their website posts their menu, which is huge.  Great atmosphere to eat and drink in, and the food is excellent.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Second vote for Joes. I can not suggest the Oz man sandwich there enough. (But I am from PA and good BBQ is very hard to find here - so take my opinion with a grain of salt). 

Long line but moved pretty fast. There is some literature on the walls as you walk by. There are 2-3 locations if I recall properly. The gas station is the original, and the one we ate at. Unless they are all gas stations which could be the case.....

Tried to get to Pigwich but the line was too long and estimated time to service was longer than we had.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Avoid Arthur Bryant’s.   I suggest Joe’s KC bbq. My wife suggests IKEA.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• KC_Steve
    KC_Steve Posts: 56
    edited December 2018
    Sea2Ski said:
    Second vote for Joes. I can not suggest the Oz man sandwich there enough. (But I am from PA and good BBQ is very hard to find here - so take my opinion with a grain of salt). 
    Z-Man is the sandwich at Joe's.
    https://www.joeskc.com/pages/gas-station-restaurant

Q-39 is fantastic.
    https://q39kc.com/

Slaps is great too.  
    https://slapsbbqkc.com/

Take the tour.
    https://www.boulevard.com/visit-us/tours/

Finally, we suck at public transportation, so uber it everywhere.  All of these places are worth your time and money.
    L, M - Kansas City
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    That’s it!  Z-man sandwich!  Thanks for the correction @KC_Steve
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Lately I have been spending a ton of time in KC for work. The Z-Man at Joes is legit. I get one every time that I go to KC.  I tried Gates during one of the trips and it was the worst excuse for bbq that I have ever experienced. 
  • I don’t care for Gates either.  I do eat a lot of Jack Stacks beans and cheesy potatoes.  And my local Ace stocks their bbq sauces.  Got some brisket from them (shipped on dry ice) last Christmas, and everyone loved it!
  • If you're in Westport definitely Joe's. It will be super close to you. Give yourself at least an hour to wait in line.
    The original Gates or the original Arthur Bryant's are bbq mecca. Not the best, but are the holy land for KC bbq.
    But if I were you, I'd stick to Joe's 100%
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • To me, Gates is a bit like Taco-Bell.  It somehow tastes better after a night out.

Since you'll be in Westport, maybe you'll go to Char Bar.  I haven't been there.
    https://charbarkc.com

Last recommendation is a place for bagels.  It's in the area.
    https://www.meshuggahbagels.com

If you can't make it the the Boulevard Brewery, it's on tap everywhere.

Enjoy your visit.
    L, M - Kansas City
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    LC's BBQ over on Blue Parkway, known for their brisket and especially their burnt ends.  I would dream about that triple decker brisket sandwich after I moved away.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I have to defend Jack Stack a little. They have killer lamb ribs and their sides are very good. 
  • +1 for Q39, never had a bad meal there. There are lots of breweries within walking/uber distance of Crown center if you are looking for hydration. Have a great time!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Best of luck getting something to eat. We were in KC a couple years ago while on a road trip and couldn't get anywhere near the popular places. They were lined up out the door everywhere. You couldn't park within a 1/2 mile of Joes and their line wrapped around the building. We had to settle for Applebees, as they only had a 30 minute wait. To be fair, they served an awesome rack of baby backs. Local talent I guess. They screw up a glass of water around here.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • KiterTodd
    Really good feedback.  I’m noting it all and still taking notes. 

Thanks much!! Hopefully the lines aren’t as bad in December...

LBGE/Maryland
  • The lines will still suck in December.  Can’t go wrong with Jack Stacks as the wait is not bad at all.  Still my favorite KC BBQ joint after 40 years!
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I have I have eaten at Q39 and Jack Stack both multiple times.  Both are great, but Q39 is a little more my style.  Hopefully you are there on a day when they have burnt ends for an app.   Great stuff.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    I concur with most of these suggestions too!

BUT, since you threw in the curveball of a vegetarian, I'd recommend Char Bar - my son and his friend are both herbivores and they really enjoyed the jackfruit BBQ at CharBar.

But yeah, Q39, Jack Stack, Joe's, LC's, are all great, world class KC style BBQ.  

If you want to venture out a little, I'd throw in Slap's BBQ in KC, KS.

Another Westport suggestion - non BBQ (Yes not every meal in KC has to be smoked low and slow...) is Port Fonda for a Mexican Cantina style - they have a fantastic Bloody Mary bar for brunch on Sundays.

Welcome to KC!  Enjoy your trip and let us know how you found our town to be!!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • To echo some of the others and add a few more things...
    BBQ- Q39 and Joe's are the best. Get a reservation for Q39 if you can, otherwise you will have a long wait. CharBar is pretty great, too, and has vegetarian options (smoked jackfruit), and is right in Westport.

Someone above mentioned Nick & Jakes, they have multiple locations, not just in Overland Park. The closest to Westport is on the south side  of the Plaza, pretty close to Westport.

Check out Boulevard Brewing Company. They do tours but also have a pretty big tasting room.

Brunch (if thats your thing)- check out Beer Kitchen in Westport.

• KiterTodd
    edited December 2018
    Again, great comments and suggestions.  I'm noting these all down in one master document to take with us. 
    I usually wouldn't spend an hour in line for food, no matter how good it is.  There are other things to do with my time on a short visit to a new city.  So it's good to know Q39 takes reservations and I suspect places like CharBar we can drink while waiting for tables.  But we'll still try to get into Joes and Pigwich!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Off the BBQ trail but some of the best fried chicken in the US is cast iron skillet fried chicken at Stroud's
  • vb4677
    Basically... you're just gonna have to come back...

• KiterTodd
    We went to Q39 first...

The burnt ends were the best I’ve ever had. They weren’t typical burnt ends, though. While they were from the point, they were some of the tenderest most flavorful brisket I’ve ever had. Not dry, not hard. Awesome. 

Ribs were also very good.  Brisket was fine.  It was a great brisket but tonight it wasn’t award winning. Tender but a bit on the dry side.   

LBGE/Maryland
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited December 2018
    It's a bit of a drive, but I recommend a place off 11th Street and I-35. 😀  [Edit:map]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    KiterTodd said:
    We went to Q39 first...

The burnt ends were the best I’ve ever had. They weren’t typical burnt ends, though. While they were from the point, they were some of the tenderest most flavorful brisket I’ve ever had. Not dry, not hard. Awesome. 

Ribs were also very good.  Brisket was fine.  It was a great brisket but tonight it wasn’t award winning. Tender but a bit on the dry side.   

I loved their burnt ends too.  Glad they had them when you were in town.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • vb4677
    Nice!  Where to tonight?

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Arrowhead Stadium?  Great game last night - that Mahomes kid is fun to watch.  Sorry - no resto recs.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • KiterTodd said:
    We went to Q39 first...

I see that you had the white bean cassoulet on your plate.  I think their's is a nice change from the baked beans.
    L, M - Kansas City
  • KiterTodd
    vb4677 said:
    Nice!  Where to tonight?

We went to Joe’s. (The original gas station location)

I like the more casual atmosphere and the BBQ was also excellent. I liked Joe’s brisket better.  Q39 ribs better. Joe’s didn’t have burnt ends that night but we tried their pulled pork which was excellent. 

Had breakfast on the way to the airport this morning at “You Say Tomato.” Highly recommend it. Great selection, cool casual atmosphere and exceedingly friendly. 

That is my one takeaway from the trip... everyone was very nice and welcoming all along. 

We had Meshugganah (sp?) bagels one day and they were great.  Tried to get over to Stroud’s for chicken but it didn’t work out. Too bad. It was on the short list. 

Thanks for all the tips! They really helped give us a lot of options. 
    LBGE/Maryland