Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo packer brisket?

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I'm doing another Costco Prime (smallish) full packer for a friend.  I got off to kind of a later start than I would have liked, so I let the egg get a little warmer than previous ones.

This guy started off as 11.5lbs.  I trimmed just over 1.5lbs of fat off it.

I'm using the Carbon Lite again.  The numbers so far:

0:10 290F dome, 267F probe, 54F IT
1:00 295F dome, 245F probe, 103F IT
2:00 300F dome, 288F probe, 152F IT
2:50 290F dome, 270F probe, 168F IT
Foiled and returned to egg

I was kind of surprised it reached typical stall temp in just under 3 hours.  Based on previous cooks, I'm guessing it could be done / ready to FTC in just another hour or two.

Comments

• njl
    Options
    I can't believe this thing's done already...4 hours total cooking time.  It's foiled and in a cooler now.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Never seen one cook that fast at those temps. Usually 30 min per lb at 325-350 with the foil crutch. Speedy. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    I would offer a comment but there are no new lessons learned here.  Trust it probed well...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • njl
    Options
    Probed well.  After 2 hours in the cooler we separated the point, tasted a few bits, and I took enough off the flat for our dinner.  The point was small, so I didn't want to take "my fee" from that.  The rub used was from a local BBQ place, and I'd have been happier with dalmatian rub.

It's funny...because I was worried about having it ready in time for dinner.  It nearly made lunch.
  • njl
    Options
    It occurred to me, there were two things I did different this time (picked up from some of the instructional videos people have posted in other threads).

1. I let this one sit out (covered with foil in a foil roasting pan - how I store them overnight in the fridge after applying rub the night before a cook) in the kitchen for about an hour before starting it on the egg, and from my logs, it started out about 7F warmer.
    2. I put a chunk of oak directly under it on the cooking grid.  That's supposed to cut down on pooling on the top side...and this one seemed a bit long for the grid (and grid zone protected by the platesetter) anyway, so it's a way to raise the middle and make it fit better.
    I don't know if either of those made much difference, or if it was just a "fast cow".  Seems like either could have contributed.