Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

PIG SHOT FILLINGS-LOOKING FOR SPICY OR UNUSUAL

Making some pig shots for some Christmas parties and am going to use some of my homemade sausage. I have Andouille, Texas Beef, Brauts and Kabanosy.  Looking for some killer cheese fillings.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.  Merry Christmas!

Comments

• DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,818
    Pimento or pepper jack 
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,297
    Winner Winner with homemade sausage in pig shots , poppers or anything else + 2 on pepper jack, double up on that by cold smoking the cheese ( any cheese you use, even creme ) ...get it done soon so the flavor sets 
    Visalia, Ca
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,818
    When using creme cheese, mix it with some rub to amp up the flavor. 
  • JstrokeJstroke Posts: 1,949
    Cabot cheddar
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 18,256
    Habanero cheese depending on the crowd.  Obviously the cheese paired with the sausage describes the flavor profile.  You can blend some left-over pulled pork or brisket (what is that??) with the cheese to make the topping.  Home-run for sure.  FWIW-
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,451
    Do a 1/2 ricotta 1/2 cream cheese filling, with a dab of jalepeno jam on top. I like to slice a thin Serrano wafer and put on top.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • smaksmak Posts: 145
    For spicy...   dice up some jalapenos and mix into the cream cheese with a spicy rub.  Then put a jalapeno slice on the top of the cheese  when you make the pig shot.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,989
    edited December 5
    Cheese grits...thinking gouda and jalepeno.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,297
    Hey Now !!! Outside the box, that sounds awesome 
    Visalia, Ca
  • Think bangers & mash - filled with loaded baked potato mix. And play roulette - put a bit of habanero in one of them for some fun
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,926
    Cheesy AF mac n cheese with whatever spice level of peppers added and even pulled pork if you want.  It’ll get nice and crusty when it cooks
    Austin, TX
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,906
    never made a pig shot....how about brie with a slice of bourbon poached pear
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 4,941
    Man that sounds good... giving me ideas. Andouille pig shot with a shrimp and cheese grits. Bowl full of goodness in a shot. 
    sauerkraut and swiss with russian dressing served on the side
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,926
    Some of these may need taller bacon.  Too bad moo glue won’t glue fat together or you could stack two bellies.  This is a problem science needs to fix - I don’t think beef bacon would solve this.
    Austin, TX
    edited December 5
    Legume said:
    Some of these may need taller bacon.  Too bad moo glue won’t glue fat together or you could stack two bellies.  This is a problem science needs to fix - I don’t think beef bacon would solve this.
    prosciutto instead of bacon =)  shrimp and horseradish with prosciutto wrap  it would be better with the brie as well
  • Kent8621Kent8621 Posts: 590
    lkapigian said:
    Hey Now !!! Outside the box, that sounds awesome 
    this sounds awesome, i am going to have to try that.

2 Large Eggs - Madison, AL

Boiler Up!!

• I LOVE all of the out of the box thinking. The first party is 12/22 so i have some practice time.  With the Brats I am going to try and make some homemade sauerkraut with the swiss.  I will practice with store bought.  For the mac and cheese I have some hatch chilies and will use either orzo or mini rings for the mac.  Bangers & mash is certainly interesting.  Never had a grit in my life (northern boy) but love the imagination. Feeding off of the shrimp & grits idea, thinking andouille stuffed with a shrimp, the trinity, and a thick tomato based sauce (made with a cajun roux of course).

Thanks @SmokeyPitt, @lkapigian@HoustonEgger , @fishlessman, @Legume, @Dyal_SC , @Kent8621 for your suggestions.
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 7,019
    I love. This thread.  Right now I have nothing to contribute, but I’ll wrap my brain around it and see if I can come up w anything. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95