Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit VS Dome temp variance question

Options
Thermo has been calibrated as of 30 minutes ago. 

Seems like quite a spread. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    In my experience you will see less of a variance after a couple hours and the egg has settled....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Duh. ThThanks for the reminder! Now I remember reading that here before.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Have found over the last 20 years of EGGing that the difference can be quite large, especially at the start. And the closer that your indirect barrier is to your meat, the less airflow. The less airflow and the more the cold meat affects the surrounding temperatures. As @Ikapigian says, as the meat heats up, the variance decreases. Overall what I have learned from this (and what we always do in our competitions) is that it really makes a lot of sense to start off a little hotter. Happy cookin'! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ