Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe or not?

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
edited November 2018 in Pork
I put a butt in the egg around 1130PM last night dome temp was 275. Checked it at 1AM dome was 220 so I opened the draft door slightly and went to bed. 

Woke up checked egg at 830AM and it was at zero and cool to the touch (in a blizzard warning here) took butt out it had good color and texture. Not warm to the touch but not cool either, IT was 126. Currently it’s in a pan in a 300degree oven.

should I pitch it, or is it okay? 
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited November 2018
    Options
    At 126, you should be fine.

From Doug Baldwin: 

“Most food pathogens stop growing by 122°F (50°C), but the common food pathogen Clostridium perfringens can grow at up to 126.1°F (52.3°C).”
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I’d toss it. Not worth it to me. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Your controller must have quit? Just busting balls. Heard this story so many times. This is the sole reason I have a controller. It collects dust almost all year until I do an overnight cook. 

Im far too conservative about things. I’d change my plans personally. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    I say go for it, but please do let us know if anyone dies as a result so we can all avoid the same mistake in the future.
    I will if I can :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I say go for it, but please do let us know if anyone dies as a result so we can all avoid the same mistake in the future.
    I will if I can :-)
    Just identify a designated survivor - like the sole vegetarian in the room.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hans61
    Options
    Your controller must have quit? Just busting balls. Heard this story so many times. This is the sole reason I have a controller. It collects dust almost all year until I do an overnight cook. 

Been egging 6+ years this is the very first time this has happened to me. I don’t use a blower.  It probably has been too long since I cleaned it out. That’s the only reason that I can think of. It is kinda embarrassing but I cared more about if I could eat the meat or not 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    It will be fine. Basically all you did was cold smoke it for a few hours. Crank her back up and cook it. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Personally, I would continue as planned and not do a thing but eat it when ready.

If you are worried, but do not want to toss good meat, think - the inside is fine. You could trim off the outside and rerub. Way more trouble than I would go through, and personally think is in necessary, but is an option. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    If you are near me in fl please finish the cook and bring it on over. I have left over bbq sauce i need to finish up lol. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hans61 said:

Been egging 6+ years this is the very first time this has happened to me. I don’t use a blower.  It probably has been too long since I cleaned it out. That’s the only reason that I can think of. It is kinda embarrassing but I cared more about if I could eat the meat or not 
    Hey, just pointing out for others (newbies) the reason people make controllers. Some people can go forever without a controller and without a “black hole” incident, but I’ve never heard of a single incident of the fire going out when using a controller. I suppose it’s possible, but I’ve never heard of it. I’ve gone overnight without a controller several times without issue myself. Sorry to bust balls, just thought it would be a learning moment for those less experienced than yourself. Apologies. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    caliking said:
    You’ll be absolutely fine. 

It’s understandable if you don’t want to feed it to others though. Taking risks with one’s own colon is one thing, but taking risks with others’ is a different matter. Do what you feel is best. 
    This^^^
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hans61
    Options
    @pgprescott no apologies necessary - to newbies reading this, I got lazy and wasn’t being careful in my prep it was my carelessness that killed the fire. If you clean your egg before low n slow and have enough lump you can go 20+ hrs - some people even get particular about putting big pieces at the bottom so as to not plug up air holes with small pieces 

i deserve some some ball busting :-) I’m just glad no one was coming over for it
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    If you are near me in fl please finish the cook and bring it on over. I have left over bbq sauce i need to finish up lol. 
    Would your sauce pair well with meat church all purpose rub? 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Would your sauce pair well with meat church all purpose rub? 
    It pars well with any pork or chicken i have ever cooked lol. I do not put bbq sauce on my beef EVER
    Jacksonville, FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not sure if this constitutes strong legalese, but at least it gives fair warning...

Ron that is an awesome hat!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not sure if this constitutes strong legalese, but at least it gives fair warning...

Ron that is an awesome hat!
    Thanks - I have a black t-shirt with same.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I didn't die or get sick for anyone who wondered :-)
    That is most awesome!

Take it from a guy who’s had food poisoning, NO BUENO! 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Have you ever seen Marathon Man?

Flint, Michigan
  • Hans61
    Options
    Have you ever seen Marathon Man?

I haven’t but I don’t know if I want to based on that
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    It's a good movie from William Goldman.  Laurence Olivier is a former nazi dentist who is smuggling diamonds in New York in the 1970's.  Above, he's interrogating/torturing Dustin Hoffman to discover what he knows about the operation.  He's got Hoffman strapped into a chair and using dental tools and drills all the while asking, "Is it safe?" 

Olivier played an awesome villain.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I'm happy it worked out for you, but if you've ever had real food poisoning you know it is just not worth it.  If you have to ask, it's not worth the risk.  If in doubt, throw it out.  Next time you might not be as fortunate.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Hub said:
    I'm happy it worked out for you, but if you've ever had real food poisoning you know it is just not worth it.  If you have to ask, it's not worth the risk.  If in doubt, throw it out.  Next time you might not be as fortunate.
    I've eaten at Taco Bell.......pretty much the same thing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA