Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE Firebox replacement?

I need a firebox for a LBGE.  Are there any options other than spending $250ish on one from BGE?

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    One would have to assume from this question that you did not purchase your egg from a dealer?

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Are they really that expensive? I’ve replaced several under warranty so I’ve never asked the price. Yikes. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I bought my BGE new from a dealer many years ago, maybe 15.  The firebox broke in a move that was no fault of bge.  It was also tossed out by folks that didn't know the difference.  So here I sit with no firebox and the sticker price on a new one hurts, so I'm looking to see if there are any, maybe aftermarket, options that might work.

Thanks,
  • eggtopia said:
    I bought my BGE new from a dealer many years ago, maybe 15.  The firebox broke in a move that was no fault of bge.  It was also tossed out by folks that didn't know the difference.  So here I sit with no firebox and the sticker price on a new one hurts, so I'm looking to see if there are any, maybe aftermarket, options that might work.

Thanks,
    That sucks. I would still contact your dealer or even bge. They may be willing to help you out. Hell, bge replaced a base for someone on Here who tied their dog to it and pulled it over. These things crack all the time and it
    may have been hairline cracked before the move.  believe me, they are not going to be shocked to hear you had a cracked firebox or ring. I have gone through 4-5 of each and I leave them in until they crumble. They all crack within a few months (if that) of being installed. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited November 2018
    Where are you located? May be someone on here with a warranty part lying around for you. I gave my old boxes and rings to a guy doing a rehab project last year. 
  • I have one in the barn you could piece together and get by if your in the area
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I'm in South Florida.  Thanks for the info everyone.
  • The Kamado Joe firebox replacement is $96, shipped. Not sure it fits in the large, but dimensionally they seem exactly the same. It’s the new multi part one too. Cool design. 

https://www.bbqguys.com/kamado-joe/classic-multi-piece-firebox-kj-mpfb23
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    eggtopia said:
    I need a firebox for a LBGE.  Are there any options other than spending $250ish on one from BGE?
    $156 is the list price for a large BGE fire box, and the ring is $125.  Did they quote you for BOTH?
  • The Kamado Joe firebox replacement is $96, shipped. Not sure it fits in the large, but dimensionally they seem exactly the same. It’s the new multi part one too. Cool design. 

Thanks, I'll look into it. On the description is says "FOR USE WITH KAMADO JOE PRODUCTS ONLY" Does anyone know if it will work with the BGE?
  • eggtopia said:
    $156 is the list price for a large BGE fire box, and the ring is $125.  Did they quote you for BOTH?
    Interesting, I don't think I was quoted for both, but I will double check now. Thank you.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,957
    edited November 2018
    eggtopia said:
    The Kamado Joe firebox replacement is $96, shipped. Not sure it fits in the large, but dimensionally they seem exactly the same. It’s the new multi part one too. Cool design. 

Thanks, I'll look into it. On the description is says "FOR USE WITH KAMADO JOE PRODUCTS ONLY" Does anyone know if it will work with the BGE?
    I don't know, but rather than risk it why not bite the bullet and get the BGE one? That way when you buy it then it will carry the warranty* for the time which will come when it breaks! Buy Once - Cry Once.

* At least this has been a fact supported here may times for guys who are rehabbing old eggs which had no warranty just like in your case.

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I replaced mine in July. As I bought mine from a friend, I have no warranty. It was $156 delivered to my dealer. My understanding is that this fire box is now warrantied for life.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Thanks, for $150 I'll just get the BGE one.  I must have received some bad info.

Thanks everyone!
  • eggtopia said:
    Thanks, for $150 I'll just get the BGE one.  I must have received some bad info.

Thanks everyone!
    Good call. Putting a KJ box in your egg would likely void your warranty for the whole thing. This way you’ll have your warranty in tact including lifetime on your new box. $156 well
    spent in my book. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,657
    If you want this, I’ll send it to you. Maybe you can piece it together. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet