Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multi BGE Temp Controller

Options

I've had my Stoker pit controller for a few years. The network side of my Stokers stopped working (hard wired) and went to Rock's website only to see that they have discontinued selling the Stoker (temp probes still available). I have emailed them to see if they can repair my unit but also want to see what is out there. I've looked at the Auber and the Guru line of controllers. I don't believe any of these are able to control multiple BGEs.

Any info on a controller that can control multiple pits?

Thanks, Kevin

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    That's no good. Dang. Especially for you and all your custom probes you've made. Hopefully they can get you up and running again 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Do you have the White box (1st Gen), Stoker WiFi (2nd Gen) or Stoker II?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My auber 2615 only controls one smoker, and that’s their latest model. It is fantastic, but I am also interested if there is a stoker competitor out there that controls multiple pits. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Do you have the White box (1st Gen), Stoker WiFi (2nd Gen) or Stoker II?

I have the 2nd gen black Stoker WiFi.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

Yes, it is nice controlling all pits with 1 controller. I had everything built in and I never shut my stoker off. I would change the temp to cold so the fan wouldn't run until I wanted to use a pit.

I've been watching eBay and craigslist some looking for another Stoker or 2. As @WeberWho said, I have a lot of temp probes. All they are is a simple thermocouple wire sold for about $1 a foot. I like everything about the Stoker. I hope they reconsider and continue to produce a pit controller for multiple pits.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I could build a box with two of the auber PID in them to control two smokers. Kinda like my home brewery. With SSRs you could use 120V fans too. No battery packs probably. And no meat temp readout. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• milesvdustin
    Options
    If anyone knows where to get cheap fans I may tackle that. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• okie
    okie Posts: 33
    Options
    I've get a very lightly used gen 1 Stoker/wifi unit (this is the one with the black box with white labels) with 2.7.0.332 firmware with two probes (one with a clamp) and one fan. Works perfectly. If anyone is interested make me an offer. I used it a total of 3 times.
    Muskogee, OK LBGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    okie said:
    I've get a very lightly used gen 1 Stoker/wifi unit (this is the one with the black box with white labels) with 2.7.0.332 firmware with two probes (one with a clamp) and one fan. Works perfectly. If anyone is interested make me an offer. I used it a total of 3 times.
    @bigguy136
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    okie said:
    @bigguy136

Thanks!!

I have paid for okie's stoker and should be shipped on Monday.

Not sure if buying up old units is the smart thing to do but I love the multi pit/ single controller part of the stoker.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

I got an email from Rocks. They had me change the first 3 numbers of my IP to 255, turn off and back on. It displays a new IP and all works.

They said doing this resets Stoker to DHCP. I then tried changing back to my old IP and nothing. I also can't just change back to my new IP. I have to put in 255, power down and back up. I know a small amount about network. It works but not sure why I can't change my IP in my Stoker.

I also bought okie's Stoker so I should be good.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Set a static reserved IP in your router based on the MAC of the stoker. This will give a ‘permanent’ IP to your stoker, but allow you to configure the stoker using DHCP, which it seems to like better. This is all router based, and may or may not be available as a configurable option in your specific router. 
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Set a static reserved IP in your router based on the MAC of the stoker. This will give a ‘permanent’ IP to your stoker, but allow you to configure the stoker using DHCP, which it seems to like better. This is all router based, and may or may not be available as a configurable option in your specific router. 

Maybe it doesn't make a difference but my Stoker always had an IP like 192.168.1.38 but now my IP is 192.168.254.70. I was always able to change my IP to a .37, .36 ect. and now I can't. If I change my Stoker IP and change it back, it still won't work. I have to change the first 3 number to 255, power down, power up and use that number.

It works and I'm happy but I don't get why I could assign a new IP before and now I can't.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    bigguy136 said:

Maybe it doesn't make a difference but my Stoker always had an IP like 192.168.1.38 but now my IP is 192.168.254.70. I was always able to change my IP to a .37, .36 ect. and now I can't. If I change my Stoker IP and change it back, it still won't work. I have to change the first 3 number to 255, power down, power up and use that number.

It works and I'm happy but I don't get why I could assign a new IP before and now I can't.

This is the problem with mine
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bigguy136
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    bigguy136 said:

This is the problem with mine
    Did you try the above? Did it fix yours?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    I haven't tried changing the first 3 numbers to 255 get...last year or so I just gave up on remote access 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bigguy136
    Options

I've been there.

Can you plug in an ethernet cable into your router and see your Stoker? If so, the above is NOT what you want to do.

The above is if you connect your Stoker to your router with an ethernet cable, launch a web browser on your computer with your Stoker's IP address and your computer cannot see it.

I have my wireless side of Stoker working but I didn't find it stable enough so I have an access point next to my Stoker and ethernet cable from my access point to my Stoker. A much better set-up.

Big Lake, Minnesota