Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to Cook 2 turkeys of different weight at once

Options
Unfortunately I was handed 2 turkeys of different weight to cook..  17lb and 13lb.  I plan to do them both indirect in the XL BGE.  My thought was to just add the smaller bird one hour after the first one starts....   

I was looking at the cheat sheet and said 5hr 40min for 17lb and 4:20 for the 13lb....  almost 6hrs at 350 seems like a really long time.  Does that seem accurate to everyone? 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,359
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• johnrezz
    johnrezz Posts: 120
    Options
    i really do not understand the cheat sheet timing, if you go by the bird directions it says a 17 lb turkey in the oven takes 3-3.5 hours..  why does BGE say to cook twice as long at the same temp?  any advice would be greatly appreciated...  Timing is the only think that concerns me... so for 17 and 13 how long do you think it will take????
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yup, I’d give the bigger bird an extra hour, but still there’s too many variables to guarantee both will be done at the same time. Have the oven ready to hold one until the other is ready. Remember, the internal temp is what matters, not the time. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnrezz
    Options
    so if you wanted to serve the birds at 3pm what time would you throw the first one (17lb) in the egg....  Im thinking 11am

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree the times are a little high.  I would guesstimate based on 15 minutes per lb at 350. So, 4.25 hrs for the 17 lb and 3.25 hours for the 13 lb.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    edited November 2018
    Options
    johnrezz said:
    i really do not understand the cheat sheet timing, if you go by the bird directions it says a 17 lb turkey in the oven takes 3-3.5 hours..  why does BGE say to cook twice as long at the same temp?  any advice would be greatly appreciated...  Timing is the only think that concerns me... so for 17 and 13 how long do you think it will take????
    If you are running at a “true” 350 degrees it will take about 12-14 minutes a pound. Give or take a little either way. Keep in mind that is for a whole, completely thawed out turkey, not spatchcocked, leapfrogged, semi frozen or double halves. With that said, that number will start to change if you run below or above 350 degrees.
    As far as the charts, most folks are so scared of getting sued that they post times with a grossly huge safety margin built in for liability reasons. Again, if you are running a true 350 degrees it will be within a cats whisker of 12-14 minutes a pound. Good luck my friend and may you find yourself forever in the grace and favor of the Turkey Gods.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnrezz
    Options
    I agree...  there is done and then there is FDA done!!!  lol