Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Smoked Ham

Does anyone have the recipe for the Double Smoked Ham from texansmokingbbq.com?  Looks like the site is gone and I didn't save it.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,488
    From their facebook page:

Double Smoked Ham

This past Christmas, I decided we should do something different than our typical honey baked ham. Years ago (before the Green Egg), I smoked a fully cooked ham and remember it being amazing. (Double smoked ham, sounds like the name of an old Clint Eastwood movie) So, I decided I would give it a try on the Egg. I was inspired by the famous Egghead, John Hall "Egret"; however, tweaked his original recipe by adding a final glaze. The result was hands down, the best ham I’ve ever tasted. The great thing about smoking the ham is the fact that you are smoking a fully cooked ham. Since your adding so much flavor with the smoke, rub and glaze, you don’t need to run out and spend a fortune on the ham. I buy the fully cooked spiral cut ham and throw away the glaze provided (trust me, yours will be better).

Recipe:

Double Smoked Ham on the Big Green Egg

Author: texansmokingbbq.com

Prep time: 30 mins

Cook time: 5 hours

Total time: 5 hours 30 mins

Serves: 15

The first half of this recipe is from a fellow egghead, John Hall "Egret" and the glaze portion of this recipe is a culmination of several different recipes. Enjoy this one of a kind delicacy.

Ingredients

10-12 # cooked, spiral cut, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)

1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup (dark grade B) (injected into ham)

Wood Chunks: Cherry, Apple, or Pecan (my personal preference is apple)

--------------------------------------------------

Maple-Bourbon Rub(recipe follows)

2 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup

2 Tbsp freshly ground Black Pepper

2 Tbsp Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard *(can use regular mustard here)

1 Tbsp Bourbon *(Jack Daniels)

1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

1 Tbsp Paprika

1 Tbsp Onion Powder

1 Tbsp Kosher Salt

----------------------------------------------------

Glaze (for the final portion of the cook):

½ cup brown sugar

¼ cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available)

¼ cup honey

2 Tbsp. cider vinegar

1 – 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (prefer a good brand, I use Starbucks VIA)

1 Tbsp dry ground mustard

2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate (a good brand provides better flavor)

1 Tbsp Bourbon (Jack Daniels)

Instructions

Smoking Instructions:

Prepare the ham the day before smoking by placing in a pan with the flat side down. Inject the maple syrup (up to a cup) by using either a turkey baster or meat injector.

Spread the maple-bourbon rub all over the entire ham, including a small amount on the flat side. Using saran wrap, loosely cover the ham and place in the fridge for 24 hours or until ready to smoke.

Stabilize egg at 225°-250° F using indirect heat (plate setter legs up). Place a shallow grease pan sitting on the plate setter and the grill grid sitting on top.

Be sure to mix several good sized chunks of your preferred wood (Apple) in the charcoal prior to lighting.

Place ham on grid with flat side down

Cook for 25 to 30 minutes per lb. until internal temp on the ham shows 140°F

----------------------------------------------------------

Glaze instruction:

Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a thick looking sauce.

Apply the glaze (after ham reaches 120° F) either once or twice in the last hour to 30 minutes.

Be sure and to allow glaze enough time to harden so your ham won’t be a sticky mess when you pull it off the grill.

Remove ham when it reaches an internal temp between 140-160°F and double wrap in foil. Allow the ham to rest for at least an hour and then either serve or place in refrigerator.

I’ve read many articles on the perfect temp to pull the ham and the best advice I’ve read says 140° F will maintain the perfect amount of moistness and flavor throughout the ham. I've pulled the ham closer to 160°F and noticed the ham was a little less moist.

Now you’re ready to enjoy the double smoked ham!

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Thanks ColtsFan!!!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,488
    gasou4389 said:
    Thanks ColtsFan!!!
    You're welcome
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• I've double smoked a few, spiral and whole, which always come out amazing. I don't think I've ever done a maple syrup injection like that though, so I'll have to give it a shot next time. 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.